What do med schools think about summer classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BraveNewWorld

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten different responses. Some say it's a great way to focus on one class; other people tell me its a horrible idea because it looks like you failed a class for whatever reason and had to retake it.

Next summer I plan to take an advanced level math class which is known for being super hard, after I finish a year of math sequence in my college. Or, I plan to take additional computer science classes for my major so I can accelerate my learning.

Is this a bad/good idea considering (1) they aren't med school prereqs (2) I'll have more time to do them?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's just a class you're fine (plus it's not a pre-req). I'm curious though, what class is it?

Reactions: 1 user
I've gotten different responses. Some say it's a great way to focus on one class; other people tell me its a horrible idea because it looks like you failed a class for whatever reason and had to retake it.

Next summer I plan to take an advanced level math class which is known for being super hard, after I finish a year of math sequence in my college. Or, I plan to take additional computer science classes for my major so I can accelerate my learning.

Is this a bad/good idea considering (1) they aren't med school prereqs (2) I'll have more time to do them?

If you fail a class, medical schools are going to see that grade, regardless of your retake.

Nobody is going to worry about you chickening out for summer school if the rest of your grades are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason it would be negative is that it takes away the time of year when you can be working just on EC's/research. IMO getting an internship or research position for the summer is a better way to go 1. financially (making instead of spending money) and 2. professionally, since you will be able to build up some experience, meet different people, get an outside LoR...

If you take a summer class, it won't hurt. It seems like there are better, more creative ways to spend a summer.

As long as it's not a pre req it's fine. But I agree with the above that summer is prime time to build ECS and I'd prioritize that if your slim on that part of the app

Are we talking summer classes at a 4 year university or a community college?

I took Calc 2 and biochem over the summer last year and it was great because I could just focus on those two classes

BUT at my school at least there are two types of summer classes:
1) ones that are accelerated so you meet every day and do an entire semester in five weeks (so you can only take one class at a time)
2) ones that you meet 2-3 times a week for an hour like a normal class throughout the summer

I definitely recommend #2 because you can still volunteer and have fun while taking classes. I took gen chem that was like #1 and for ten weeks I could not do anything other then study chemistry because otherwise you would get behind

A nonpreq at a CC, 4 year or home school is fine
A prereq or two in the summer is ok, at home school
taking at a near by 4 year or CC can raise a slight question as if you were avoiding something
I think it is a low risk
Only one that is likely to get really question is Organic in the Summer at a CC

Sorry stupid question by home school you mean, back in your state, or at the school you attend?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As long as it's not a pre req it's fine. But I agree with the above that summer is prime time to build ECS and I'd prioritize that if your slim on that part of the app
Why is it a bad idea to take pre-reqs in the summer? I'm taking Biochem and O-chem II this summer to complete my post-bacc. Is this going to be viewed negatively, even if I do well (B or higher)?

EDIT: At my home institution, ofc

Why is it a bad idea to take pre-reqs in the summer? I'm taking Biochem and O-chem II this summer to complete my post-bacc. Is this going to be viewed negatively, even if I do well (B or higher)?

EDIT: At my home institution, ofc

These people are paranoid. Summer classes at an accredited 4 year college is fine.

Since it lumps GPAs like this:
Id8KXOR.jpg

It takes extra to dig in and figure out when classes were taken. That's my crazy report (which included 21 summer credits that made me not have a junior year and 43 post bacc credits from three different 4 year schools). I never got a single question about it and got multiple acceptances.

As recently 10 years ago, summer organic chemistry would have been a note to discuss if not a flag

And would you say that applies to traditional 4 year colleges as well?

Man, I'm surprised I got in anywhere. I took ochem 1 and 2 in two mini terms in an online hybrid course at CC. It was a freaking nightmare. I actually used it as a talking point in my interviews/ secondaries to show I could handle a stressful curriculum.

I also took bio 101, and microbio at CC during the summer. Took biochem n the summer but university class, though. I thought the MCAT was supposed to balance out stuff like this so you could just take your classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took pre-reqs in the summer at a school that was not my home school, and I was never questioned on it in interviews. However, I think it may have helped that I did decently well on the section of the MCAT that tested that subject.

honestly if they seriously look down at summer classes taken at your home institution that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard

I'm not doubting that it is true but I took a bunch of summer classes because I switched majors and I wanted to graduate on time and I'm sure other people had other valid reasons for choosing to take classes over the summer and in my experience they were just as hard if not harder because some were accelerated. I mean I definitely see the argument that they are easier because you aren't taking as many classes at once, but I just have a really hard time believing that medical schools are that particular that it would really harm your application to take classes over the summer

a few thoughts:
1) the perception of summer courses ad being less rigorous, whether justified or not, the way most medical schools lean; they view applicants with more rigorous courses as more competitive. It is the same perception that many medical schools have on community colleges
2) schools get 5,0000 applications, reduced to several hundred interviews and finally to a few hundred acceptance. Like in an Olympic sport, sometimes a fraction of a second or inch will separate competitors
3) Applicants who have significant number of summer courses may need to defend, justify, or explain that course load
4) As I said in my initial posting in, for most applicants who take a few summer course have a low risk issue

that's fair I just hope they ask you so you can explain yourself instead of just writing people off for something they may not have known was bad

and sorry I hope you didn't think I was trying to say you were arguing that taking summer classes is a terrible choice I got that you just meant it was a risk I just think if it does pose a major risk to someone's application that is unfortunate

I don't understand. I'm planning on taking calc and gen chem 2 with lab over the summer. Is this going to be a bad thing or not? I'm out of state for my home school and my scholarship only covers 8 semesters there. I would either have to convince financial aid to allow me to pay in state tuition for my summer term, or I'd have to take the courses, where I live, at a cc or a 4-year school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah, it's at my home institution, not my local community college.

Classes don't meet everyday, so I'd have time to complete research fellowships sponsored by the school, etc.