What do medical schools look for in potential students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niksem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what do medical schools look for in potential students? Everyone knows that GPA, MCAT, research experience, volanteering are important but are there more important qualities?

Members don't see this ad.

Be an interesting person, and be able to convey it well, both in writing and during the interview. Have a life outside of trying to get into med school.

Leadership and contact with diverse populations, maturity, and genuine desire to serve the community

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Strong gpa and MCAT.
2. Strong extracurricular activities (be original)
3. Volunteer and Research in the medical setting to prove that the applicant knows what they're getting themselves into.
4. Ability to communicate effectively in person and via writing.
5. Personality! If you don't have one...find one!

little pointed heads <--------directly from an adcom member

i think they are looking for interesting adults and collegues. interesting is key here.
people who have worked with diverse populations. people who are worldly and have done stuff to the max. for example: if you do research, then present it at conferences, etc.
people who are very nice and energetic!!

Interviewers are seeing if you're the type of person he/she would be comfortable having as a doctor.

i think that if you remember when the school was founded that your guaranteed an acceptance
This is coming straight of the mouth of the head of admissions at Tufts.

He told me that I was off by 2 years. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: