What do people like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JattMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you like on a girl?
Straight hair (not the thick matted type but the fine straight hair)?
* I like fine straight hair
Wavy hair?
or
Curly hair?
What is a good height for Indian gals?
*I prefer them to be at least 5'4"
Do you like them to be attuned to your culture or not at all?
* I prefer they know the culture and live it to a certain extent
Would you pick an Indian girl who could cook your ethnic food or it doesnt matter?
* I would rather have one who could cook some punjabi food once in a while.

Add anything else you would like.................

Members don't see this ad.

:D

yaar all of that sounds perfect..the difficult part is findin someone like that these days :eek:

pritbir

JattMed said:
Wavy hair?
or
Curly hair?
Would you pick an Indian girl who could cook your ethnic food or it doesnt matter?

haha you pretty much hit it!

hmm.. if I had to add anything...
I have to admit that I enjoy the fact that Indian girls are more independent than they were in the past. I can't stand Indo girls that are insecure/immature/lack life experience/aren't accepting.

I also like long, straight hair, good complexion, somewhat fair, thin, natural (i.e. no plastic surgery), very good hygiene, open-minded, intelligent and pro-active thinker, ability to see the good and bad things about the indian community, sexy (but not in a whorish way)... etc etc... Lol... I think I'll stop now!

Members don't see this ad :)
JattMed said:
Wavy hair?
or
Curly hair?

Perfect combination ;)
One difference is that I would probably prefer taller than 5' 6". But its hard to find them. :p I guess your cutoff is reasonable and more practical :thumbup:

Oh and also.. I would want someone who knows how to cook lots of good Indian stuff, not just once in a while. :laugh:

lol what typical indian guys !! :p

JattMed said:
Wavy hair?
or
Curly hair?

HMM...SHE HAS TO BE CARING AND LOVING. I DONT REALLY GO FOR THE PHYSICAL FEATURES THAT MUCH.

OH, SHE HAS TO HAVE A NICE SEDUCING INNOCENT SMILE..LIKEEEEE THIS :oops:

DrPreet said:
HMM...SHE HAS TO BE CARING AND LOVING. I DONT REALLY GO FOR THE PHYSICAL FEATURES THAT MUCH.

OH, SHE HAS TO HAVE A NICE SEDUCING INNOCENT SMILE..LIKEEEEE THIS :oops:

aww see now that's what I am talking about ! ;) It's wierd how if the guy is smart, nice and has a great personality girls still go for him even if he's not good looking but its the other way for girls. No matter how great she is ( personality wise) she has to be hot too! Damn double standards!! lol

ok...this is from a girl's standpoint....
it's a real shame, but i grew up hearing girls needed to be somewhat tall, thin, and light skinned...oh and let's not forget know how to cook. it didn't matter how intelligent she is...as long as she had a college degree or at least began to get one.
yet, looks don't matter for the guys?? as long as he has a good steady job and can take care of you! :rolleyes:
i value myself as being a strong, independent female who (although happily married) doesn't need to depend on a man to take care of me! and it has always bothered me on our 'indian standards' on what would make a 'good wife'.

apgmph said:
ok...this is from a girl's standpoint....
it's a real shame, but i grew up hearing girls needed to be somewhat tall, thin, and light skinned...oh and let's not forget know how to cook. it didn't matter how intelligent she is...as long as she had a college degree or at least began to get one.
yet, looks don't matter for the guys?? as long as he has a good steady job and can take care of you! :rolleyes:
i value myself as being a strong, independent female who (although happily married) doesn't need to depend on a man to take care of me! and it has always bothered me on our 'indian standards' on what would make a 'good wife'.

my point exactly ! Thanks for the post :)

DoctorMalki said:
aww see now that's what I am talking about ! ;) It's wierd how if the guy is smart, nice and has a great personality girls still go for him even if he's not good looking but its the other way for girls. No matter how great she is ( personality wise) she has to be hot too! Damn double standards!! lol

yep, that sounds about right. desi dudes do have dbl standards...they need a big dandiya up their......

DrPreet said:
yep, that sounds about right. desi dudes do have dbl standards...they need a big dandiya up their......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guys of any kind have double standards. A smart but ugly guy always has better prospects than the smart but ugly girl. People are subjective in what they like in other people. Although some of the beauty ideals that the OP seems to uphold may make many girls uncomfortable, but I know girls who have equally ridiculous requirements for a potential mate. And from personal experience, it is VERY hard to find someone when you have a list of characteristics going.

So my feminist side aside, lets put up a more fun female perspective. What do the desi gals like?
For most girls (myself included this list would work)
Tall (at least 5-8')
Has to weigh more than me
has to have more color than me
doesn't have to be a doc...but should have a college degree at least and be somewhat intelligent
Strength - physical and of personality
Confident without being agressive or over confident
A healthy mix of Indian and American values - such a cliche, but oh well
has to be the right "kind" (parents gotta approve)
has to be attractive (looks and personality) to me
and finally he has to like me, respect me etc

Are there guys out there like this? Yeah, but sadly they are all married.

p.s. girls feel free to make additions are you wish

Members don't see this ad :)
sinnah83 said:
Guys of any kind have double standards. A smart but ugly guy always has better prospects than the smart but ugly girl. People are subjective in what they like in other people. Although some of the beauty ideals that the OP seems to uphold may make many girls uncomfortable, but I know girls who have equally ridiculous requirements for a potential mate. And from personal experience, it is VERY hard to find someone when you have a list of characteristics going.

So my feminist side aside, lets put up a more fun female perspective. What do the desi gals like?
Tall (at least 5-8')
doesn't have to be a doc...but should have a college degree at least and be somewhat intelligent

IM NOT MARRIED :D lol but i dunno abt "somewhat intelligent"..dammit missed da boat there :rolleyes:

DrPreet said:
IM NOT MARRIED :D lol but i dunno abt "somewhat intelligent"..dammit missed da boat there :rolleyes:

lol i agree too...i'm not married :D
the double standard...ahhh we could go on for ages with this. i'll try to state my philosophy very briefly. times are changing, and I don't think guys want the "typical" passive/quiet/cooking type of wife anymore. and i don't think i'd be able to live with a girl who couldn't carry on intelligent conversation. so...yeah shes gotta look good and be smart :oops: (it is true, most guys don't have to look like models, i've seen this first hand as i'm sure most of you have). I for one would like to find a nice balance, and yeah she doesn't have to cook. it would be nice once in a while...but i'll help her out with the food (hey, i gotta survive on my own too right?). there were a bunch of interesting points brought up above but maybe i'll have to write about em later. not ALL indian guys are the same...don't stereotype em all ;) just like i learned not to stereotype all the punjabi girls (although i will admit most still do fit the stereotype in my eyes).

oh yeah...one interesting point...whats the deal with the guy having more "color" than the girl? in that case, i'm out of luck if most girls prefer that :laugh: sigh...guess i'll be single for a while :cool: this thread really picked up huh?

on a side note, are most of you students/docs/residents? i'm a MSIV, just applied to residency so waiting for some more interview invites

pritbir

sinnah83 said:

Tall (at least 5-8')

I think the guy has a have a good sense of humor and you should just have fun together no matter what you do :)

Halcyon said:
lol i agree too...i'm not married :D
the double standard...ahhh we could go on for ages with this. i'll try to state my philosophy very briefly. times are changing, and I don't think guys want the "typical" passive/quiet/cooking type of wife anymore. and i don't think i'd be able to live with a girl who couldn't carry on intelligent conversation. so...yeah shes gotta look good and be smart :oops: (it is true, most guys don't have to look like models, i've seen this first hand as i'm sure most of you have). I for one would like to find a nice balance, and yeah she doesn't have to cook. it would be nice once in a while...but i'll help her out with the food (hey, i gotta survive on my own too right?). there were a bunch of interesting points brought up above but maybe i'll have to write about em later. not ALL indian guys are the same...don't stereotype em all ;) just like i learned not to stereotype all the punjabi girls (although i will admit most still do fit the stereotype in my eyes).

oh yeah...one interesting point...whats the deal with the guy having more "color" than the girl? in that case, i'm out of luck if most girls prefer that :laugh: sigh...guess i'll be single for a while :cool: this thread really picked up huh?

on a side note, are most of you students/docs/residents? i'm a MSIV, just applied to residency so waiting for some more interview invites

pritbir

it's not about stereotyping but you have to agree that a majority of indian men have double standards for women.

I am a senior in college currently applying to med schools. what med school are you in Halcyon? what residency programs are you looking into? Good Luck with the interviews !! :luck:

DoctorMalki said:
it's not about stereotyping but you have to agree that a majority of indian men have double standards for women.

I am a senior in college currently applying to med schools. what med school are you in Halcyon? what residency programs are you looking into? Good Luck with the interviews !! :luck:

The double standard thing goes both ways, in my opinion. I sent you a PM.

As for me, I go to COMP, the D.O. school just outside of L.A. And I finished applying to Emergency Medicine programs :D Thank ya for the the g'luck wishes and g'luck to all of you as well in whatever you are doing :luck:

prit

DoctorMalki said:

BLAHHHHH BLAHHHHHH.....

Lets make this forum DDN (Desi Dating Network) instead of SDN.

IllinoisStudent said:

would you like to start off by listing your "biodata?" :D

Halcyon said:

:laugh: :laugh: I hate that word ! lol

Halcyon said:

My brother just got back from India, apparently there were many requests for my biodata. GRRREEEAATTTT :(

Buckeye(OH) said:
My brother just got back from India, apparently there were many requests for my biodata. GRRREEEAATTTT :(
Ohh REALLY!!!..............................just kidding :p

as an indian girl,
i like my guys to be:

*tall (6'0 and up, maybe 5'11)
*about my color
*smart and ambitious (not necessarily dr, but at least working toward some good goal)
*secure and confident (cannot stand a jealous guy)
*funny (you know what they say: make her laugh, make her breakfast!) haha
*attractive (phsyically and mentally)
*open-minded
*into the culture, but still American at the same time
*will eat all my yummy indian cooking (i imagine that it shouldn't be hard to find someone to satisfy this one)
*respect me
*likes to dance (this isn't a requirement, as long as i can go out and dance without him and he isn't jealous)

Thats it until i can think of more....

girls do you agree?

IllinoisStudent said:
:laugh: :laugh: the INDIAN thread is full of these gossips......fun hann............. :laugh:

1hotaartichoke said:
as an indian girl,
i like my guys to be:

*tall (6'0 and up, maybe 5'11)
*about my color
*smart and ambitious (not necessarily dr, but at least working toward some good goal)
*secure and confident (cannot stand a jealous guy)
*funny (you know what they say: make her laugh, make her breakfast!) haha
*attractive (phsyically and mentally)
*open-minded
*into the culture, but still American at the same time
*will eat all my yummy indian cooking (i imagine that it shouldn't be hard to find someone to satisfy this one)
*respect me
*likes to dance (this isn't a requirement, as long as i can go out and dance without him and he isn't jealous)

Thats it until i can think of more....

girls do you agree?

I am not sure about the other points, but the one about, "likes to dance (this isn't a requirement, as long as i can go out and dance without him and he isn't jealous)",

I wouldn't go dancing if he doesn't- no question of him being jealous. I know sounds too corny ! But uh hu- who can change me

Check out www.ratedesi.com -- a grand sociological experiment unfolding in realtime. Now you can watch guys and gals "***** it up" big time, and yes, you can objectify them too; all the tools you need are right there. :rolleyes:

In reality, I think the site stinks, but do check it out so you know who's hot and who's not.

:laugh:

H2O said:
Check out www.ratedesi.com -- a grand sociological experiment unfolding in realtime. Now you can watch guys and gals "***** it up" big time, and yes, you can objectify them too; all the tools you need are right there. :rolleyes:

In reality, I think the site stinks, but do check it out so you know who's hot and who's not.

:laugh:

lol
hahaha talk about the virtual world and the virtual ego burst!