What Do Podiatrists Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do Podiatrists Do? Do all of them perform surgery? Do you get paid less if you don't perform surgery? Is it true that podiatrists can practice other specialties in addition to board-certified specialties?

Just curious since I know nothing about Podiatry but am considering a career in the health care services.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
best thing to do is call up a pod in your area and shadow him/her!

What do Podiatrists Do? Do all of them perform surgery? Do you get paid less if you don't perform surgery? Is it true that podiatrists can practice other specialties in addition to board-certified specialties?

Just curious since I know nothing about Podiatry but am considering a career in the health care services.

Those are some good links and good advice. I'll add a little as well. All podiatrists are now trained in surgery a minimal of two years. However, the majority of students do 3-year surgical residencies. After residency, it really just depends on training and what you want.

There are successful pods out there that do little or no surgery. Many of them are in private practice and still do well. Of course, this has as much to do with their business sense (maybe more so) as it does with their training. As is the case with anything, if you open a business in a saturated area, you probably aren't going to do well.

Many podiatrists work for hospitals, ortho groups, and multispecialty groups as well. Out of residency, you will get offers from all of the above including established private practice groups. What you end up doing depends on training, preference, and opportunity. If you want to do more surgery, less surgery, specific area, etc, you look for a job accordingly.

Concerning "practicing in other specialties", I'm not quite sure what you mean. There are specialties within podiatry that can be pursued (sports medicine, diabetic limb salvage and wound care, peds, etc).

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

podiatrists chill by the pool with all the fly hunies

i like the direction this is headed. brilliant questions deserve brilliant answers.