What DO schools have non-standard admission requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdoom12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, what schools require courses other than the run-of-the-mill courses, such as physics and ochem? I ask because I recently discovered that VCOM requires an extra 6 hours of upper division science courses. As a non-science major, it would be helpful to know if other schools have similar extra requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have this on my iPad and look at it frequently.. especially with June around the corner.. I never noticed the unbelievably low numbers of URMs in DO schools.. especially black people.. MOST schools have between 0-4%??? :eek: The hell is that about??

Not to derail.. I was just floored..

I'd imagine a lot of the URMs that want to be doctors get into US MD schools, including the HBCs, even if they have lower stats. It could also have to do with the locations of DO schools, since many are new and the older ones were concentrated in specific areas.

I have this on my iPad and look at it frequently.. especially with June around the corner.. I never noticed the unbelievably low numbers of URMs in DO schools.. especially black people.. MOST schools have between 0-4%??? :eek: The hell is that about??

Not to derail.. I was just floored..

There you go again! I guess DO schools should roll out the red carpet for any URM(AA)who apply with a 3.2 c/sGPA and a 24+ mcat score...

There you go again! I guess DO schools should roll out the red carpet for any URM(AA)who apply with a 3.2 c/sGPA and a 24+ mcat score...

They need to do something about getting equal representation of black students. It's a serious issue. 0-4 percent? C'mon that's just plain wrong.

I'd imagine a lot of the URMs that want to be doctors get into US MD schools, including the HBCs, even if they have lower stats. It could also have to do with the locations of DO schools, since many are new and the older ones were concentrated in specific areas.

I don't think that's it at all.

Last year(2011) less that 5% of applicants were AA. So around 4-5% of total matriculants sounds accurate and fair to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
They need to do something about getting equal representation of black students. It's a serious issue. 0-4 percent? C'mon that's just plain wrong.

Admittedly with the average AA applying to DO schools having stats in the low 3.0/21s they on average have almost no chance of graduating without issue. It's a risk most DO schools don't want to take.

Most DO schools offer admission to a good amount of ORM applicants with those stats. It's probably within a standard deviation of the mean matriculate and probably the mean applicant.

According to aacom, for 2011-2012 684 AA people applied. I would assume some of the applicants may have ended up attending MD schools as well. Strange to me that so few AA apply though

Admittedly with the average AA applying to DO schools having stats in the low 3.0/21s they on average have almost no chance of graduating without issue. It's a risk most DO schools don't want to take.

Most DO schools offer admission to a good amount of ORM applicants with those stats. It's probably within a standard deviation of the mean matriculate and probably the mean applicant.

Then they should do something to recruit more able applicants. Seems as though they don't care, which would suggest they don't care about the quality of the education they're giving.

According to aacom, for 2011-2012 684 AA people applied. I would assume some of the applicants may have ended up attending MD schools as well. Strange to me that so few AA apply though

So it's obvious that DO schools are doing nothing to draw in AA applicants; horrible PR. This of course, is not surprising. It's gonna be nothing for me to say I'm a DO student but its going to feel ****ty saying ya, I'm one of like 3 black males in my class.

AACOM Data on Averages for Matriculation by Race 2011

Data posted as cGPA | sGPA | MCAT.
Click on this text for the source document.

White: 3.50 | 3.38 | 26.52

Asian: 3.45 | 3.33 | 27.11

Hispanic/Latino: 3.45 | 3.33 | 25.30

Multiple Races (No Hispanic in the calculation): 3.44 | 3.28 | 26.37

Black/African-American: 3.32 | 3.14 | 22.31

Foreign: 3.46 | 3.41 | 28.35

Native American: 3.52 | 3.37 | 25.33
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Average GPAs for AA is not that horrible IMO, but I think the MCAT could be a little better (like 24-25 average).

I don't think that's it at all.

What do you think it is?

I think most URMs with average to above average DO school stats (3.4+, 26-30 MCAT) could get into state MD schools. Honestly, I wonder how many URMs with significantly lower stats are really applying to any medical school. I wouldn't have thought I had a chance at a US school until I found this website, found people in a similar position as me, and ultimately applied and got interviews, and I'm from a medical family.

Also, to be completely honest a lot of the DO schools are not in particularly diverse areas. Granted that's probably changing with the explosion of DO schools in the last 15 years, and hopefully we will see some changes in graduating classes.

In general though, as you alluded to, DOs aren't really advertised a lot, especially in areas that don't have a lot of practicing DOs. I know that a lot of schools are starting PRIME programs and specifically recruiting members of some minority groups, but again that's not something that we will see have a significant effect for a few years now.

I think a lot of what makes people become doctors is knowing someone who's made it, a mentor of some kind. A lot of times a successful URM would be in a particularly good position to advertise for the DO degree. Ultimately though, I think most successful DOs simply advocate medicine in general as opposed to the DO degree itself. I may be wrong, its not like I'm surrounded by DOs or anything.

Last edited:
What do you think it is?

I think most URMs with average to above average DO school stats (3.4+, 26-30 MCAT) could get into state MD schools. Honestly, I wonder how many URMs with significantly lower stats are really applying to any medical school. I wouldn't have thought I had a chance at a US school until I found this website, found people in a similar position as me, and ultimately applied and got interviews, and I'm from a medical family.

Also, to be completely honest a lot of the DO schools are not in particularly diverse areas. Granted that's probably changing with the explosion of DO schools in the last 15 years, and hopefully we will see some changes in graduating classes.

In general though, as you alluded to, DOs aren't really advertised a lot, especially in areas that don't have a lot of practicing DOs. I know that a lot of schools are starting PRIME programs and specifically recruiting members of some minority groups, but again that's not something that we will see have a significant effect for a few years now.

I think a lot of what makes people become doctors is knowing someone who's made it, a mentor of some kind. A lot of times a successful URM would be in a particularly good position to advertise for the DO degree. Ultimately though, I think most successful DOs simply advocate medicine in general as opposed to the DO degree itself. I may be wrong, its not like I'm surrounded by DOs or anything.

I already said its bad PR and the schools not caring. 750 applicants for class of 2012 and less than half of those are matriculating. I'm not sure the exact reasons but 2.5% AA in DO schools suggests the schools don't care. It's interesting to me because a diverse student body leads to better education, studies have found. There are probably a lot of qualified students but as you said, lack of mentors and or/ not knowing about DOs. I don't really think the location of the DO schools plays any factor because I'm willing to bet the majority of the students don't come from the immediate areas surrounding the schools.

As the title says, what schools require courses other than the run-of-the-mill courses, such as physics and ochem? I ask because I recently discovered that VCOM requires an extra 6 hours of upper division science courses. As a non-science major, it would be helpful to know if other schools have similar extra requirements.

not sure if this qualifies, but I know that MU-COM required all admitted students to be ridiculously good looking. Biochem was also strongly suggested.

529011-zoolander-main.jpg

not sure if this qualifies, but I know that MU-COM required all admitted students to be ridiculously good looking. Biochem was also strongly suggested.

529011-zoolander-main.jpg

That movie is so underrated haha.