What do students think of NBOME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you say are some good things done by them?

I know a lot of folks don't like how they handled Level 2 PE. But we will have to deal with them regardless. Unless if someone decides to certify through the Step 3 route

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The NBOME does nothing good. Every single thing they do is far inferior to the NBME, and they no longer have a role in medical education.

Reactions: 8 users
The NBOME does nothing good. Every single thing they do is far inferior to the NBME, and they no longer have a role in medical education.
They're still going to have a role because the DO schools require level 1 and level 2 to be passed to graduate. I don't think they can force you to do Level 3 though.

These groups like the AOA do say they're trying to preserve the DO identity or whatever

You’re not going to find any nbome fanboys/fangirls on this site.

We all hate them for the level 2 PE stuff. But other than that, they’re just annoying. If you studied for the usmle exams, the comlex exams are basically an afterthought, especially since no one ever understood the scores.

It’s just an extra institution to take your money. No value is provided and osteopathic education would be much more efficient and better standardized if they ceased to exist.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
They're still going to have a role because the DO schools require level 1 and level 2 to be passed to graduate. I don't think they can force you to do Level 3 though.

These groups like the AOA do say they're trying to preserve the DO identity or whatever
Their “role” is simply the one they have given themselves. It’s a self appointed enterprise. COMLEX is a garbage exam, and only serves to further distance DOs from MDs. The NBOME’s demise is inevitable, their role is truly non-existent. After the GME merger it truly is only a matter of time.

All DO leadership organizations are corrupt. Do not ever believe, for even a second, they care about you as a DO student or physician.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
The NBOME also has the same docs who sit on the board of AOA, which seems like a shady way of doing things.

I heard the AoA still has voting rights in the acgme post-merger.

Despite this, I haven't met too many DOs who do Step 3. I think it's easier to just do the Level series and be done with it

The NBOME is a second-rate copycat organization that prides itself in creating terribly written, pseudoscience-infused tests and forcing med students to pay hundreds of dollars to take them. The NBOME feigns uniqueness purely for financial gain. It should be promptly abolished.

Reactions: 5 users
Normally, I wouldn't want to try and hope that people be out of a job. In the case of the NBOME, however, though, I hope that they all receive new job offers that don't involve ruining the lives of students and medical practitioners and the organization, as a whole, ceases to exist with virtually any contribution it has made to society gone. All they do is make DO students lives miserable. We don't need that type of negativity here.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing the SDN community rally around this brings tears to my eyes.

congrats on getting off that WL. The NBOME and AOA are irrelevant for you now.
Thank you so much!!! I fell on the floor when I got the news.

Even though I was lucky enough to have escaped the clutches of these organizations, it’s imperative that the the barriers DO students face be eliminated. It’s the 21st century. Pretending that DO’s are more holistic and forcing them to spend time and money learning pseudoscience, ultimately rendering them less competitive for residency, is unacceptable.

• Love
I still don't think the comlex tests are going away anytime soon though, even after the Merger in 2020.

The nbome and aoa were probably more relevant several decades ago, when they were fighting to get practice rights for DOs and retain them.

Reactions: 1 user
So as a DO you can take step 3 instead of comlex level 3 as your only test?

So as a DO you can take step 3 instead of comlex level 3 as your only test?
Depends on where you’re living. PA is an outlier and has its own osteopathic board. Some other states do as well, I believe.

You’re not going to find any nbome fanboys/fangirls on this site.

We all hate them for the level 2 PE stuff. But other than that, they’re just annoying. If you studied for the usmle exams, the comlex exams are basically an afterthought, especially since no one ever understood the scores.

It’s just an extra institution to take your money. No value is provided and osteopathic education would be much more efficient and better standardized if they ceased to exist.
What exactly did they do about the level 2 PE? I thought this exam was no longer a thing for us? Please don't tell us we have to take that exam.. lol

What exactly did they do about the level 2 PE? I thought this exam was no longer a thing for us? Please don't tell us we have to take that exam.. lol
Nbome and nbme are both trying to bring back their cash cow. Hopefully you get out before it comes back. I took level 2 PE and it was so stupid and not at all reflective of any patient encounter ever.

But I was referring to how they basically wouldn’t confirm that current DO pgy-1s wouldn’t have to take it until waaaay after the nbme canceled CS. Tons of DO students went into the match without an exam they were still telling us we needed to graduate. They even tried to pilot a virtual omm exam just to continue to steal from us! Then they started trying to get us to take it after graduation. I was a little proud that essentially all of osteopathic med Ed said **** that noise loud enough that they backed down. Although I think it’s mostly because the ~50% of DO students who take step we’re saying they’d just take that instead to be done with the nbome. So they were really just trying to not lose level 3 money.

Again, I took PE right before the Covid lockdowns and passed. Them doing any of the above wouldn’t have affected me in the slightest. But it makes my blood boil that an organization would screw over their own students for a pointless cash grab that they KNOW is meaningless.

But it makes my blood boil that an organization would screw over their own students for a pointless cash grab that they KNOW is meaningless.
Nah bro, you haven’t seen all that research they have plastered on their website showing it’s essential? You know, the stuff authored by John Gimpel, DO, CEO of NBOME Enterprises, and creator of Level 2 PE?

It’s absolutely CRITICAL DOs have a Level 2 PE to $how their competence and osteopathic skill$. John Gimpel told me.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
i'm sincerely begging every DO student to uprise so that we don't have to take Level 2 PE, if NBOME succeeds in bringing it back. What's the actual point other than to just steal our money, as if we don't already go into excruciating debt just to pursue this field. Everyday I can only pray for the downfall of the NBOME, for everything they do and continue to do

i'm sincerely begging every DO student to uprise so that we don't have to take Level 2 PE, if NBOME succeeds in bringing it back. What's the actual point other than to just steal our money, as if we don't already go into excruciating debt just to pursue this field. Everyday I can only pray for the downfall of the NBOME, for everything they do and continue to do
Could consider having a massive pledge to just complete the USMLE series and not take level 3 if they bring it back.

That only works if CS doesn’t come back though.

Could consider having a massive pledge to just complete the USMLE series and not take level 3 if they bring it back.

That only works if CS doesn’t come back though.
Some states require you to take Level 3 though unfortunately. Its not that many, but I don't know if we can get people to just forget Level 3, if its between them getting licensed or not

Is John Gimpel as big of a slime ball in real life as he is online?
I'm not making this up. I have never wanted to punch a fellow professional in the nose until I met John Gimple.

His arrogance and disdain for the needs of our medical students is galling. No, I take that back, it's disgusting.