What do these words mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason110

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three phrases that seem to be thrown around here a lot, but I don't know what they mean. Sorry if I'm not informed like most of you, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on these words:

1. PBL (problem-based learning)... what is it? how does it work? why do some people prefer it? are there still lectures?

2. Translational Research... I've heard of basic science research and clinical research, but what is this?

3. Transition year... people take this after medical school. what is it? is it required for many residencies?

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Members don't see this ad.

Jason110 said:
I have three phrases that seem to be thrown around here a lot, but I don't know what they mean. Sorry if I'm not informed like most of you, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on these words:

Jason110 said:
1.PBL (problem-based learning)... what is it? how does it work? why do some people prefer it? are there still lectures?
INstead of lecturing at you, they give you a case study and you have to decipher what's wrong with the patient. instead of reading everything in a book, you learn how to do a lot of differential diagnosis stuff

Jason110 said:
2. Translational Research... I've heard of basic science research and clinical research, but what is this?

translational research combines both..it also may involved several disciplines of science like physics, molecular biology, etc. all combined with a clinical aspect. the research translates across disciplines..

Jason110 said:
3. Transition year... people take this after medical school. what is it? is it required for many residencies?
not required for residencies..just nice to take a breather..like time off b4 a residency or b4 medical school...

hope this helped..

L~R :luck:

PBL- Problem Based Learning is where you are given a clinical problem (ie chest pain) and then you (sometimes in a group) are supposed to discuss possible causes for the clinical problem, the basic science behind the problem (ie the anatomy of the heart, the biochemistry of cardiac enzymes, the physiology of heart perfusion, and the pathology myocardial infarction), and sometimes provide a treatment plan for the problem. It is thought in some circles to provide a better foundation for the clinical years because it prepares you to "think like a physician." In other circles it is considered a waste of time because it is hard to "think like a physician" before you know enough basic science to understand what is going on. PBL can range anywhere from a single class to the entire curriculum depending on where you go. In my oppinion a little PBL with a foundation of standard basic science classes would afford you the best opportunity to learn.

Transistion year- Is a "internship" year after you finish medical school and before you start your residency program. Some residency programs are PGY 2 (Post-graduate year 2) programs that require you to have a year of internship outside of that residency program before you start that residency program. You do this by completing a transition year program that involves you rotating through several services (medicine, surgery, psych, emergency etc) and acting as an intern on that service. Many programs are moving away from this model and becoming PGY-1 programs where you start at your residency right after medical school (even though you still function as an intern you are considered part of the residency program right away and you perform these duties at the facilities that you will do residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
LRmed2003 said:
not required for residencies..just nice to take a breather..like time off b4 a residency or b4 medical school...

hope this helped..

L~R :luck:

transitional years certainly shouldnt be viewed as analogous to "time off." and yes, there are programs that require a transitional year of residency. it depends on the residency program. hakksar's explanation is correct.

i think a common misconception on sdn is that pbl is used as a primary teaching method. while there are a few programs that do rely solely on pbl(drexel's ifm? or is it pil? comes to mind among others) i'd say the majority of med schools in the us use pbl as a supplement/complement to what is taught in lecture and can be found in books. then again...by "majority" i mean my school and the other schools that i happened to interview at back in the day. :D

LRmed2003 said:
translational research combines both..it also may involved several disciplines of science like physics, molecular biology, etc. all combined with a clinical aspect. the research translates across disciplines..

My understanding of translational research is that it focuses on taking what is learned in basic science research and translating it into a clinical application.

Your understanding is correct.