What do they mean by hours for classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying2becomeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For quarter system schools, how do you calculate pre-requisite hours for schools? For example, GWU wants 6 hours of biology. Do they mean 6 units when saying hours?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by trying2submit:
•For quarter system schools, how do you calculate pre-requisite hours for schools? For example, GWU wants 6 hours of biology. Do they mean 6 units when saying hours?

Thanks•
6 hours is the same thing as 6 credits or units.

no 6 hours does not MEAN 6 units in a quarter system!!!

I should know the conversion is different....6 units = 6 hours for SEMESTER SYSTEM ONLY (1 year of english)

if you go to any of UC's 6 hours means 1 year of BIOLOGY therefore 3 QUARTERS of biology or english!!

if you do the AMCAS conversion a 4 unit quarter class becomes a 2.7 semester unit

I think this is the converstion to the best of my knowledge from finishing amcas and columbia as well

Quarter units = Semester units
5 = 3.3
4 = 2.7
3 = 2.0
2 = 1.3

Ironically the ratio doesn't always work out...however if you go to any of the UC's or any school that has the quarter system, then 6 hours does not equal 6 units...since each class at a UC is 4 units....

if the requirment was take 6 hours of biology....and if u believe 6 hours = 6 units then on a quarter system, that would mean

1 class (4units) + another class (2 unit)

WHICH IS NOT THE CASE!!!!

1 year of biology at a UC totals to 8.1 units =

2.7 Fall quarter + 2.7 Winter + 2.7 Spring...

Ironically enough, 1 year of a subject class for us means we take so much more!!! when schools talk about taking 6 units of bio...on a sememster basis that is a year of bio

Semester

Fall 3 units + Spring 3 units = 6 = 1 yr of bio

Quarter system (again a whole year!!)

Fall 2.7 + winter 2.7 + Spring 2.7 = 1 yr of bio

it sucks,we have to cover more ground :( oh well ......