what do u think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye to eye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

i am going to apply for ophtho next year in the 2010 match and just wanted to have an idea how competitive i will be next year.

Step 1: 217/89
Step 2: 230/96
Basic sci: 3.1
Clinical sci: mostly A's, one ophtho rotation.
LOR: some big wigs
research: none
caribbean grad

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for ur input. I know my chances are low but i will continue to pursue what i love regardless. If i have to take a year off and do research, i will.

Hopefully you will get more interviews. I am quite surprised that you only have gotten 3 IVs with your crendentials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for ur input. I know my chances are low but i will continue to pursue what i love regardless. If i have to take a year off and do research, i will.

Hopefully you will get more interviews. I am quite surprised that you only have gotten 3 IVs with your crendentials.

I like your perseverence! Research is a must, including a few publications. Also, work with some well-known ophthalmologists from big name institutions to get 2 glowing recommendations. As MacularStar said, this may involve taking a year or two off for research, etc. Good luck and I applaud your devotion.

start doing some research or something to boost your application! :luck:

Assuming you will be taking a year "off" to strengthen your application, I would recommend doing an ophtho rotation (clinical elective, if possible) at a smaller community hospital that has a residency program. Preferably, one that has a history of looking favorably upon students who take the time to rotate there and get to know their program on a personal level.

Good luck.