What do you charge for custom abutments and abutment retained crowns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJake@TheLake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, had a patient get upset and say my fees were very high compared to his previous dentist. It was the first time I heard this:

Custom abutment ?
Abutment retained Ceramic Crown ?

Tia

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be very careful. Discussing actual fees among other dentists can be taken as a violation of federal trade commission statutes.

Crown fee seems ball park to me (who knows though how it compares with other dentists in your immediate geographical vicinity), custom abutment fee is likely going to get the attention of the patient though, especially from the patient perspective where the general concept of what an abutment does and the fact that it's a separate part from the implant or the crown, but yet is ultimately made from that same impression you're taking for the crown.

We've all seen the data that suggests that crown fees should be 4 to 5 times the lab fee on average, abutment fees though are an area where a good deal of variability is present, especially given how much "easier" restoring an implant case is for most dentists as opposed to a traditional tooth supported crown

Reactions: 1 user