What do you do after rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwantdental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess the application cycle is getting to me, hence I am writing up this thread.
I was rejected from all my schools during the last cycle, and I am reapplying this year. I guess my previous rejections lowered my self-confidence because I am really scared I am not going to get accepted during this cycle. I bet this is what many people are feeling right now so I just wanted to get some feedback.

What is your plan B? I have been thinking about this for a while now, and I have been looking at master programs, post-bac programs, dental assisting programs etc. etc. The bottom line is that being a dentist is the only thing I ever wanted to be, and I really don't know what to do if the career path is shut forever.

Members don't see this ad.

if u dont mind, can u tell us ur stats from last cycle + when u applied

if this cycle doesnt work out for me.... that would b the worst.

if u dont mind, can u tell us ur stats from last cycle + when u applied

if this cycle doesnt work out for me.... that would b the worst.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=759058

the link shows the thread where I posted my current stats.

during the last cycle:

G.P.A.
BCP: 3.1
Science: 3.25
Non-Science: 3.75
Cumulative: 3.49

DAT
Bio: 16
GC: 18
OC: 20
TS: 18
RC: 24
QR: 16
PAT: 19

ECs
~50 hours of volunteer/shadowing at a dental clinic
~900 hours of work as a dental technician
~200 hours of research experience

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=759058

the link shows the thread where I posted my current stats.

during the last cycle:

G.P.A.
BCP: 3.1
Science: 3.25
Non-Science: 3.75
Cumulative: 3.49

DAT
Bio: 16
GC: 18
OC: 20
TS: 18
RC: 24
QR: 16
PAT: 19

ECs
~50 hours of volunteer/shadowing at a dental clinic
~900 hours of work as a dental technician
~200 hours of research experience

Did you re-take your DAT? Your Bio score can be a red flag at many schools.

even tho this is my first cycle applying, i have similar stats to yours.. and dentistry is what i definitely want to do..
so i'm going to apply to some grad schools this year too.. a few postbacc programs/SMP.. see what happens there. at least with a masters degree, if dentistry really doesn't work out, i'll be more likely to find a job or some sort. at least that's what i think

don't trip, chocolate chip! i see you have greatly improved your GPA and DAT, so that itself is great news for you. I think compared to last year, your app will look much stronger. if i were you, i would just be patient and ride it out. no sense in worrying. just be ready for a backup if need be.

by the way, how did your science/bcp gpa go up so much in a year?

don't trip, chocolate chip! i see you have greatly improved your GPA and DAT, so that itself is great news for you. I think compared to last year, your app will look much stronger. if i were you, i would just be patient and ride it out. no sense in worrying. just be ready for a backup if need be.

by the way, how did your science/bcp gpa go up so much in a year?

I took 20 credits of biology courses my senior year and I got a A-/A in all the courses. Luckily it raised my BCP...hopefully it is enough

Keep your head up and don't let'm see you sweat. If this is really what you want to do you will do it. Just keep up-ing your academic game, stick to the plan and be tenacious...it will pay off. Make sure you are talking to the deans/assistant deans and following any recommendations.

if you apply and get rejected how much of the application do you have to do over? specifically I mean do you have to bother people for new LORs and resend DAT scores etc. Thanks!

if you apply and get rejected how much of the application do you have to do over? specifically I mean do you have to bother people for new LORs and resend DAT scores etc. Thanks!

It depends on the school. If the school keeps your old application they will mostly ask for 1 new LOR. Many schools also throw out all their old applications so It wouldn't matter with them. When I reapplied, I called all the schools and asked them personally. Many of them also have the information listed on their website.

Im not in dental school or anything but I think your best bet is a re-take. I remember seeing a thread somewhere and a person got into Dental School with below a 3.0. The name of the school was memphis college of dentistry or something. If they can do it, you def can!

I guess the application cycle is getting to me, hence I am writing up this thread.
I was rejected from all my schools during the last cycle, and I am reapplying this year. I guess my previous rejections lowered my self-confidence because I am really scared I am not going to get accepted during this cycle. I bet this is what many people are feeling right now so I just wanted to get some feedback.

What is your plan B? I have been thinking about this for a while now, and I have been looking at master programs, post-bac programs, dental assisting programs etc. etc. The bottom line is that being a dentist is the only thing I ever wanted to be, and I really don't know what to do if the career path is shut forever.
i'm feeling the same way you are too Iwantdental...I know i submitted my AADSAS and that it wasn't complete until recently and that i shouldn't expect to hear back anytime soon, but this waiting is really getting to me especially with seeing everyone getting interviews and such HIGH stats.

all the best of luck to you.

First off... congrats on improving your GPA and DAT so much!!! I am def no expert, but i think you are a very, very competitive applicant. I mean your AA is what 20 or 21? Is that not like 90th percentile-ish? Given your great DAT and average GPA, you should nail a few interviews.

Keep your head up!! People on SDN make it sound like if you dont have a 3.8 and 22 there is no way to get in... ridiculous... rock the interviews you get and you will be in d-school before you know it!! GL!!!

Cheers!!! :D