What do you do besides school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychappA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that grad school doesn't leave much time for a life, but I am curious to know what all of you do when you are not schooling, researching, clinicaling, etc?

I have the tendency to "all work no play" myself into the ground, so I am going to make my best attempt at having some thing(s) in my life outside of school. I thought it would be interesting to see how others spend there few moments of precious time. Or am I naive to think there are a few moments?

Members don't see this ad.

I play in an intramural hockey league through my school, am an avid kayaker (is that a word?), and a big movie buff. My girlfriend and I "enjoy" the wine country here in CA as well.

1. Relax in my hammock.
514mBT9lasL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

2. Shoot photography. (Not mine unfortunately :( )
size.jpg

3. Golf

embroidery2.jpg

4. Enjoy some wine & good food
screamingeagle.jpg
& http://www.gastronomydomine.com/2006_03_01_images/Tahoe%2520017.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
horseback riding, pilates, running, knitting (seriously), cooking (I only make like 5 things but it's still fun), uhhh....I think that's it. And sadly, I don't do those things as often as I'd like :thumbdown:

Play clarinet, make sock puppets for charity, go out for dinner with my friends, watch my Lost DVDs repeatedly, and lately I've been trying to teach myself how to cook/bake as it seems to be the only thing I haven't yet tried to do, haha

lots and lots and lots of cooking (right now i am in love with Chinese) as well as wandering around, exploring my city and all the delicious neighborhoods within. classic cocktails (we make our own bitters, cordials, etc.,) mahjong (Chinese and Japanese), anime and manga (nerd alert! and i'm watching Japanese anime about Chinese cooking and cocktails), as well as lots and lots of other reading, seeing dance, puppets, le rock and roll, volunteering, vintage shopping and flea markets, being with my friends, being a dork.

Im not in grad school yet but
outside of work, I go to the beach, play The Sims 2 (I get a little obsessive with that :laugh:), read psych-related books and novels, go clubbing, eat out.

I'm hoping to maintain all those, to some extent, once I start school. And I'm hoping to start yoga as well.

I'm starting grad school this August, and I've actually been thinking a lot about how important it seems to keep up hobbies and activities I do now as to make the move to NYC and transition to grad school as smooth as possible.
The things I enjoy are painting, cycling, going to the gym, book clubs, and yoga :) Some things will be easier to keep up then others.

- shows like The Office, LOST, Dexter, Top Chef, and trashy stuff like Flavor of Love, haha. I'm not ashamed at all :D
- fantasy football/baseball/basketball
- following NY Mets baseball
- baking

An interesting combination, I know. and not very academically stimulating. but hey, I've gotta enjoy my free time before grad school starts in August!

-Writing nonfiction (articles, stories, etc.)
-Writing poetry
-Drawing & painting
-Photography
-Reading nonfiction
-Needle work
-Being a fan of MMA (My husband fights.)
-Shows (in the rare moments I have a chance): Intervention, King of Queens, Family Guy
-Movies: mostly documentaries

What?!? There's LIFE outside school? I think I just had a heart attack!

J/k... play music, swim, ski/snowblade/snowboard (that may end when I enter grad school and have NO money..haha...), swing dance, go out with friends, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
-eat
-big gay volleyball league
-cook
-work out
-make food
-try to get a date
-video games
-crosswords
-online scrabble and chess

Sometimes I do math for fun too.

I love MMA, and anime, too!

Outside of school I . . .
Oh.
I know....oh..n.m. studying is schoolish too...
Er, nothing.

I went on facebook yesterday for half an hour. WOW for me that's big.

Oh oh wait wait...I know I volunteer. YES! I knew there was something.

I'm learning all sorts of stuff about our members!

following NY Mets baseball

Glad to see a fellow fan!

-Being a fan of MMA (My husband fights.)

What style does he train/fight? I've been a fan for the last 10 years or so (talk about growth in a sport!!)

big gay volleyball league

Nice! Supposedly there is a co-ed pick-up vball league around here, but they never seem to have games when I have time! I'm not sure where you are located, do you play indoor or outdoor?

What style does he train/fight? I've been a fan for the last 10 years or so (talk about growth in a sport!!)

I know! It's boomed! It's funny to watch UFC 1 or 10 now...& compare it to UFC 83! He does NHB ("cage fighting" to the lay person). He's primarily a ground guy - but constantly working on his stand up game. His trainer is Jeremy "Gumby" Horn.

I'm starting school this fall and I'm going to miss my free time. I like to crochet and I recently taught myself to knit. I also like to sew and bake (I didn't realize how domestic I am until just now). Mostly I love to read fiction though, which I'm really going to miss because I doubt I'll have the time for it. I also love movies and stand up comedy (my faves right now are Jim Gaffigan, Daniel Tosh and Jeff Dunham). Why do I suddenly feel like I'm writing a personal ad? :D

Nice! Supposedly there is a co-ed pick-up vball league around here, but they never seem to have games when I have time! I'm not sure where you are located, do you play indoor or outdoor?

I play outdoors (I live in Florida; might as well). It's actually the first year the university has a big gay intramural sports team. That was surprising, since in my hometown we had touch football, volleyball, floor hockey, and baseball teams.

I know! It's boomed! It's funny to watch UFC 1 or 10 now...& compare it to UFC 83! He does NHB ("cage fighting" to the lay person). He's primarily a ground guy - but constantly working on his stand up game. His trainer is Jeremy "Gumby" Horn.

I *loved* the first 6-8 UFCs. The origin of the UFC is pretty interesting, supposedly it started from an argument of who could be who in a fight, which spawned a supposed 1 time event....which then led into more. What I loved about the old ones was that it was so new and you really didn't know if a sumo guy could take on a karate guy who weighted 1/3 of his weight. Now it is so specialized. btw, the ground and pound seems like a requirement now....if you aren't good on the ground, you are toast.

I play outdoors (I live in Florida; might as well). It's actually the first year the university has a big gay intramural sports team. That was surprising, since in my hometown we had touch football, volleyball, floor hockey, and baseball teams.

Cool. Supposedly they have lunchtime pickup sports at the sports complex at my uni....but I never seem to get on their schedule. I am going to make more of an effort this year and see how it goes. I would love to join the racquetball league, as I use to play a lot a few years ago.

I *loved* the first 6-8 UFCs. The origin of the UFC is pretty interesting, supposedly it started from an argument of who could be who in a fight, which spawned a supposed 1 time event....which then led into more. What I loved about the old ones was that it was so new and you really didn't know if a sumo guy could take on a karate guy who weighted 1/3 of his weight. Now it is so specialized. btw, the ground and pound seems like a requirement now....if you aren't good on the ground, you are toast.

Ahh yes...back in the day when Tank Abbot was the guy to beat! It kills me to see the various things fighters wore into the fights, as well as the weight differences. You're right about the origins. The argument was about a boxer vs. a wrestler, but came to include all fighting techniques. It definitely has gotten specialized; you pretty much have to know what's going on to not think that the ground game is boring!

P.S. I took the hubby to a psych banquet with me tonight. The neuropsych guy he was sitting by suggested he wear helmets in his fights! :laugh:

Approx how much free time do you guys already in school feel you have on average in a week?

As for me, I love to paint, sew, arts and crafts, shop, catch shows, go clubbing, cook and rot in front of the tv.

I put in 9am-8pm or so during the week. That way, Friday nights and Saturdays are open. Sunday i take it easy and typically do some light school work such as reading, or writing a paper.

My first thought was "nothing," but that's not really true.

-I love to cook and do so at least 3 or 4 nights a week.
-I'm an avid reader (I had a prof tell me during orientation that grad school ruined her for pleasure-reading and I refuse to let that happen)
-Puzzles of any sort, Scrabulous on Facebook.
-I love to dig in the dirt and create beauty and I'm excited it's spring so I get to bring my garden back to life.
-I used to volunteer as a child advocate but had to take a sabbatical as it's too time consuming and I can't miss classes for court anymore, but I still help with training new recruits.

Approx how much free time do you guys already in school feel you have on average in a week?

That just depends on the semester for me. During the fall, I had NO free time at all. I was working about 65-70 hours a week on school stuff. If I wasn't working, I was in a coma.

This semester has been better and I am trying to be more balanced and take one whole day off per week. I don't always get to do that, but I try. There are at least 3 or 4 evenings (usually Thursday, Friday, Saturday) that I can hang out with friends, go to movies, or whatever.

Free time... what's that? Haha.

My fall semester wasn't TOO bad, I was taking at least half a day off every week. This past semester I'm really annoyed to say that yesterday was my first day all semester that I didn't have to do anything school-related. Needless to say, I'm very burned out.

I've been told life gets easier to balance in second year but I think it varies by program.

Write poetry and prose
Give poetry readings around the city
Go to poetry workshops
Abstract art with oil pastels
Reading
Playing flute
Listening to all the music I can possibly absorb
Just exploring the city
Shopping
Creating-- love to put together interesting outfits, decorate my house, etc.
Spend time with my husband and parrots
Phillies baseball
Flyers hockey

Bad time for me to be posting to this thread since the end of the semester crunch means I haven't done a THING that wasn't either work or necessary for survival in about 2 weeks.

Most of the time though:
1) Tennis
2) Non-school reading
3) TV junkie (Family Guy and Simpsons I actually classify as "necessary for survival" so I've still been watching those).
4) Just hanging out with folks - movies, parties, etc.

I've been meaning to explore more, but its been hard finding time to actually do so with everyone being so busy in grad school. I've become a bit of a recluse in grad school relative to the social butterfly I was as an undergrad. I guess that's to be expected though - I was able to in undergrad because the bar was SO low I barely had to do anything to succeed. I feel like grad school is the time to step it up a notch since this is what will really count as far as setting myself up for the kind of career I want.

Or maybe that's just me trying to justify my boring social life;)

(Family Guy and Simpsons I actually classify as "necessary for survival" so I've still been watching those)
As essential as the air we breathe. Have you seen this quiz:
http://www.onemorelevel.com/game/simpsons_trivia_quiz

As for what I do? I have 2 young dogs so lots of play time and utilizing all that behaviorism I've learned :D, bicycling when the weather allows for it, photography/urbex, check out new restaurants, cook (though not nearly as often as I'd like), read things other than articles and textbooks (currently reading "The Age of American Unreason"). I still dabble in IT consulting to pay the bills. It pays slightly better than my TA position.

I don't watch much TV, but I do love Court TV-- Forensic Files and shows like that.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

who's hoping for a sweep tonight? :smuggrin:

HA! We'll see about that... and even if the Mets do win now.... it's unfortunate that they can't keep that up in September when it really counts. :laugh:

Go Cubbies! :D

This is *our* century...

Besides school, I enjoy watching Chase Utley hit his 3rd home run of the series. :p

HA! We'll see about that... and even if the Mets do win now.... it's unfortunate that they can't keep that up in September when it really counts. :laugh:

... too bad the Phillies wasted it by getting swept by the Rockies :rolleyes:

Run. 40-45 miles a week currently.

Run. 40-45 miles a week currently.

Wow. :wow: :clap: If only I could be that cool!

I think 5 miles per week will be my initial goal, but I'd LOVE to be in good enough shape to run that much!!

1) go to the shooting range
2) skeet
3) cooking odd recipes
4) running/gym
5) welding/metal work
6) woodwork
7) taking things apart to see what makes them tick (I end up throwing quite a bit of stuff in the trash as a result :D)
8) cruising/off-roading in my ol' pickup
9) pizza, beer, friends
10) hiking
11) fishing
12) snacking on Yam-Yam

1) go to the shooting range
2) skeet
3) cooking odd recipes
4) running/gym
5) welding/metal work
6) woodwork
7) taking things apart to see what makes them tick (I end up throwing quite a bit of stuff in the trash as a result :D)
8) cruising/off-roading in my ol' pickup
9) pizza, beer, friends
10) hiking
11) fishing
12) snacking on Yam-Yam

That is cool. I have been shooting trap (not skeet) for years, and me and my buddies are going this weekend for a "Sporting Clays Experience Package." I cant wait.

That is cool. I have been shooting trap (not skeet) for years, and me and my buddies are going this weekend for a "Sporting Clays Experience Package." I cant wait.

Sounds like a blast! Trap is awesome too. Nothing like the smell of freshly burnt gun powder on a nice spring day. What's your shotgun of choice?

I've always wanted to do one of those Front Sight training weeks. I've heard their training is top-notch (for us non-service types). A guy I know (service lifer) has a lifetime membership, and he raves about it. That is a few years away though, as they are $$ and I haven't bought my guns yet (Sig Sauer .45, and probably a Glock or something similar).

btw...run 45 mi a week?! I use to run 20 or so (3mi per day as a warm-up for working out), but I can't imagine doing that now.

I've always wanted to do one of those Front Sight training weeks. I've heard their training is top-notch (for us non-service types). A guy I know (service lifer) has a lifetime membership, and he raves about it. That is a few years away though, as they are $$ and I haven't bought my guns yet (Sig Sauer .45, and probably a Glock or something similar).

btw...run 45 mi a week?! I use to run 20 or so (3mi per day as a warm-up for working out), but I can't imagine doing that now.

Todays workout was 35 minutes pilates followed by 7.2 miles (55:05 if I remember what my stopwatch said).

An HOUR of running? Multiple times per week? Holy free radicals and knee cartilage damage :scared:

My cardio has moved entirely to high-intensity interval training. I put a bunch of research into my cardio routine and HIIT really seems to be the only empirically supported method. Plus it has the benefit of being short and not recommended for more than 4/week.

You folks are making me miss my X-country days.

And feel guilty about the slovenly beast I have become. I used to run half-marathons and now I'm lucky if I can make it through an hour or two of tennis.

An HOUR of running? Multiple times per week? Holy free radicals and knee cartilage damage :scared:

My cardio has moved entirely to high-intensity interval training. I put a bunch of research into my cardio routine and HIIT really seems to be the only empirically supported method. Plus it has the benefit of being short and not recommended for more than 4/week.

Everything in my life is not done because of rationally derived, or empirically based research. I run because I love running. I burned about 1300 calories this morning while planning my day, thinking about the future, watching the sun rise and feeling a rush of endorphins.

Everything in my life is not done because of rationally derived, or empirically based research. I run because I love running. I burned about 1300 calories this morning while planning my day, thinking about the future, watching the sun rise and feeling a rush of endorphins.

Still, the knees :scared: