What do you do, exactly, in research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
>Posted in Pre-Allopathic also. I want to get an MD/PhD point of view as well.

Ok so i have a question. In whatever research you guys do, what exactly do you do... i mean how much responsibility do they give you?

Myself, i work on hematology research... and the PI is the head of the dept. He doesn't even work with me personally, all he ever does is talk to me like once every two weeks about my progress and future plans. He tells me pretty much the exact course of action. Then the lab techs are the ones who help me out, plotting the specific details. This is my second summer (first summer is mostly forgotten), so they still work with me pretty closely (ie: demonstrating things i haven't done). I get to do some stuff on my own... but mostly after its been supervised at least once before.

So what do you guys do? Do you pretty much plan out your own projects after discussing them with your PI? Do you all completely understand the science behind what you are doing (i don't always necessarily understand it in full, but like 80%). And also, do you work personally with your PI?

Also, i do research in an established lab that doesn't have many undergrads coming in, with hospital faculty, not university faculty. I don't know if you would get a better experience working with... say, your Bio professor in the university buildings.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Mansoor

So what do you guys do? Do you pretty much plan out your own projects after discussing them with your PI? Do you all completely understand the science behind what you are doing (i don't always necessarily understand it in full, but like 80%). And also, do you work personally with your PI?

Yep. That's about it.