What do you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuns554

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering is there a hinderance in applying early. If you say applied to 10 schools and applied quite early and got an acceptance say in October but they want you to put a deposit down by the end of Oct. is there a way to delay that and wait to see if you get accepted from other schools or is that a risk you have to take if you don't put that deposit down?

Members don't see this ad.

You can't delay your deposit payment unless you work something out with the program under special circumstances. That's the risk you will have to take.

Could I just pay the deposit say to the first school I get accepted to just in case and then if I get accepted to another school just take that one and basically just lose the deposit money from the first school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that's pretty much how it goes.

Secure the sure bet. My school does a partial refund, so it wasn't too much of a risk. I did my deposit in Nov.

Could I just pay the deposit say to the first school I get accepted to just in case and then if I get accepted to another school just take that one and basically just lose the deposit money from the first school?

Of course. That's the smartest thing to do. It is like paying $500 to get into the better of two schools. I'm definitely going to do the same thing

You just have to bite it and do it. I asked for an extension with one of my deposits and they kindly rejected (I had applied to their early decision) so I paid my deposit while I waited to hear back from the other schools. I ended up not choosing another school so I didn't eat the money, but that's what I would've done had I decided to go to the other school I got accepted to at a later date.

but if you apply early decision and they accept you the contract is binding...
so you wouldn't have been able to go to another school even if you wanted to?