What do you guys Eat in Pharmacy School?

Started by dumbguy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah... you're missing out on a lot of nutrients.

it's an all vegetable chili. so that's all the plant vitamins and fiber and phytos, complete proteins from beans + pasta and potatoes. so i get more than enough proteins and carbs. fat comes from the peanut butter and chips or fast food for lunch.

milk + cereal = calcium and vitamin D.

Im not really sure where i went wrong here. Have you taken nutrition ??
 
Last edited:
it's an all vegetable chili. so that's all the plant vitamins and fiber and phytos, complete proteins from beans + pasta and potatoes. so i get more than enough proteins and carbs. fat comes from the peanut butter and chips or fast food for lunch.

milk + cereal = calcium and vitamin D.

Im not really sure where i went wrong here. Have you taken nutrition ??

From what I understand of nutrition, you want to eat a varied diet. This is because we're still learning exactly what nutrients are required for optimal human health. This is also why it's suggested to not depend so much on multi-vitamins but rather eat the food. We don't know if there are unknown-yet-required co-factors for certain vitamins in the food, if the multi-vitamin vitamin is in the best form for our body to use, etc.

Other than that, it sounds like your diet is pretty good. You want to make sure that you have good fats, the polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, and less of the bad fats, the saturated and trans. As well, fish oil (the EPA and DHA) seems to be pretty important. You might want to get fish in your diet once a week or so.

No, I'm not a nutritionist, but I'm a doctoral candidate in a lab that studies diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. So I've read a decent amount of the literature on fat in the diet. I've also taken an upper level nutrition class as well.
 
I generally start the day with a whey protein shake mixed with some low fat milk, yogurt, a banana, and some sort of grain, like an english muffin or bowl of oatmeal/cheerios. On days I have more time in the morning, I'll fry a few eggs and eat the whites.

Lunch generally consists of either PB and J or some bagged tuna i spread over bread, as well as some raisins/peanuts, granola bar, and a small bag of chips (its important to endulge in a little junk food to keep you sane in my opinion).

I'll usually come home, and have my dinner defrosting in the fridge. Its usually chicken, fish (both in the oven) or steak (on the grill). I cook up rice in a rice cooker (those are amazing and a life saver! check them out!) or boil pasta. I'll heat up some frozen broccoli in the microwave or on the stove, bake up some texas toast, and get down for dinner.

I work out often so I'm usually hungry around 9 PM. I'll make a sandwich, cook up something frozen like a "healthier" TV dinner or frozen pizza, maybe some chips and salsa.

Before I go to bed its another protein shake and some fruit.

Overall its a pretty healthy diet mixed in with some devils delights. Its important that your getting the right nutrients, and by that I mean buying whole grain products and not processed/white flour. Also, get plenty of seafood and other items containing polyunsaturated fatty acids/omega 3s and 6s. These are the ULTIMATE brain food bar none. Stick with frozen vegetables over canned and even fresh. Their frozen at farm and thus the nutrients are locked in, and you dont have to worry about them going bad, being a student. Bananas are very nutritious and they last about a week, and apples last a long time in the fridge. Raisins, ditto without refrigeration.

Its very easy to put together a healthy diet routine with a little thought. But remember to get yourself your unhealthy fix every now and than. Everything in moderation is ok.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I skip breakfast very often. I eat the fatty fast food coz it 's very to grab :barf:I eat out or order to-go regularly (usually for local Asian restaurants eg. Thai, Malaysia, Veit and Chinese) (pretty fatty too but still not as bad as Mcdonald)..
Eating is one of my biggest monthly bill...

I will probably be starved if I don't have money to buy food.... I can't save on eating out...
 
it's an all vegetable chili. so that's all the plant vitamins and fiber and phytos, complete proteins from beans + pasta and potatoes. so i get more than enough proteins and carbs. fat comes from the peanut butter and chips or fast food for lunch.

milk + cereal = calcium and vitamin D.

Im not really sure where i went wrong here. Have you taken nutrition ??
LOL, sorry I hadn't thought about vegetable chili. The ones I've ever had are basically sauce and chunks of I guess meat... not exactly nutritious but plenty filling.

Edit: eat more fish.
 
LOL, sorry I hadn't thought about vegetable chili. The ones I've ever had are basically sauce and chunks of I guess meat... not exactly nutritious but plenty filling.

Edit: eat more fish.

that is true. i guess the generic idea of chili is not exactly a health food but i believe mine is pretty good. I do eat fish at least 2x a week. It's so good for you!
 
that is true. i guess the generic idea of chili is not exactly a health food but i believe mine is pretty good. I do eat fish at least 2x a week. It's so good for you!
Yeah, but you sound like you're on the right track. As long as you have a variety of fruits and vegetables going with your diet, you're doing better than a good portion of Americans.

Oh, and I'm a bit curious... has the whole salmonella thing affect your taste in peanut butter?
 
Yeah, but you sound like you're on the right track. As long as you have a variety of fruits and vegetables going with your diet, you're doing better than a good portion of Americans.

Oh, and I'm a bit curious... has the whole salmonella thing affect your taste in peanut butter?

hasnt affected it at all. i still just buy whatever is on sale. salmonella be damned!
 
Hi all,
I would like to have permission to revive this helpful thread so P1s like myself won't starve this coming Fall. As of now I can only stir fry, make spaghetti. Some times I buy stir fries like beef and broccoli from the Chinese buffet and eat it with rice.

I love all the great tips such as baked chicken and sweet potatoes from AznFarmerboi, Inquirer89's protein shakes, Pharmstudent's George Foreman Grill. I also love to eat out 24/7 like RNtoPharmD, and that's why I am poor.

Please keep it coming, especially the fish dishes.


👍 JOE 👍
 
Hi all,
I would like to have permission to revive this helpful thread so P1s like myself won't starve this coming Fall. As of now I can only stir fry, make spaghetti. Some times I buy stir fries like beef and broccoli from the Chinese buffet and eat it with rice.

I love all the great tips such as baked chicken and sweet potatoes from AznFarmerboi, Inquirer89's protein shakes, Pharmstudent's George Foreman Grill. I also love to eat out 24/7 like RNtoPharmD, and that's why I am poor.

Please keep it coming, especially the fish dishes.


👍 JOE 👍

An easy fish one that I really like involves taking a couple of tilapia fillets, dipping them in seasoned flour (salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning or something similar), then a beaten egg with a little milk, then panko bread crumbs. After that you just drizzle them with a little olive oil and bake them in the oven at about 350 degrees for 25-30 min.