What do you guys think is the biggest problem in my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

what's wrong

• I'm solid but not stellar, and will receive interviews in the mid-season.

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Schools wonder why I wasn't accepted the first time around and imagine there must be a good reason.

Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Short-term experiences that make me appear eager to pad my resume but not serious about anything

Votes: 44 31.9%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 41 29.7%

• Total voters

dopaminesurge

My friends calls me Steve
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This sounds arrogant, but with my stats, I would have thought I'd receive a few more earlier interviews by now. What's my biggest problem, and is there anything I can do now to fix it? Should I let schools know I have a new RAing position at Stanford, or is it premature? Also, for option three, keep in mind I did shadow/volunteer regularly for six months this past year, which is by no means long term, but it's not just a dab, either.

Members don't see this ad.

School selection. You have really awesome stats and great EC's. But how about some more safety schools? Even still, I'm sure that you will have no trouble getting in.

Lack of publications. I had similar stats and ECs but didn't get any flood of interviews. At least you can probably count on wash u with your numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
School selection. You have really awesome stats and great EC's. But how about some more safety schools? Even still, I'm sure that you will have no trouble getting in.

Yeah... It's true. But my stats are SO above average at some of these schools, and still nothing.

Yeah... It's true. But my stats are SO above average at some of these schools, and still nothing.
I agree with Haemulon about more safeties.

Also, I'm curious how your personal statement is being received...

What if one of your recommenders wrote something really bad about you?

That's my biggest (though probably unjustified) fear.

Do you know with certaintly that didn't happen to you?

I still think your a shoe-in for a number of interview invites. (assuming your personal statement and secondary essays are even half as good as your numbers, how is your writing? Recommendations?).

i would agree with the school selection. you have a lot of schools on your list that are hard to get into, good scores or not. the people who are getting a lot of interviews right now seem to have applied to more lower-tiered schools.

i disagree with the publications thing. i have no publications but managed to get some interviews.

I agree with Haemulon about more safeties.

Also, I'm curious how your personal statement is being received...

It was about a particular case of severe, delerious adolescent schizophrenia, and what it meant to me to observe his progress. I think it was safe, for the most part, except that I did mention, for effect, that the boy had eaten his own feces. I mean, I'd hope that's not off-putting to adcoms. I think it's relevant to assess how dire the situation was. I'd send it to you, if you wanted. I'm thinking it's taboo to post it here.

Well, that might be the problem as well. If your stats are SO above these schools' averages, they might just think that you'll be going elsewhere. It might be in your best interest to apply to a greater number of lower tier schools.

It would be hard to comment on your application without seeing your LORs and personal statement.

Good luck! I think you have a solid shot at the schools to which you're applying. Just think about adding some more.

What if one of your recommenders wrote something really bad about you?

That's my biggest (though probably unjustified) fear.

Do you know with certaintly that didn't happen to you?

Yes, I know for sure that they're all at least good, and one of them said I was among the top 1% of the thousands of students he'd seen at Berkeley in 30 years.

It was about a particular case of severe, delerious adolescent schizophrenia, and what it meant to me to observe his progress. I think it was safe, for the most part, except that I did mention, for effect, that the boy had eaten his own feces. I mean, I'd hope that's not off-putting to adcoms. I think it's relevant to assess how dire the situation was. I'd send it to you, if you wanted. I'm thinking it's taboo to post it here.

Hopefully you still managed to work in why that convinced you that you wanted to spend a life-long career as a physician. Also, hopefully you mentioned what attributes or other reasons you have as to why you feel that you would be successful and excel at such a career.

Oh, and hopefully they won't have to read about the poop-eating just before their lunch.

Hmmmm... see I dunno, but that might be "problematic". I think your numbers would overcome this, but, all I can say is that when I applied the first time I wrote something similar -- only with an Alzheimer's patient -- and it got me no love.

Adcoms seem to love and hate (but mostly love) the very traditional personal statement. :confused:

I'm positive they'll start rolling in once the non-rolling schools start sending out invites.:love: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

you go to CAL right? I did too and the career advisors told me that if your numbers are too high for some schools (esp UCs), they might be reluctant to give you interviews since they know you will get into more stellar schools like harvard and stuff like that.
Go to the career website and the have stats where it shows that ppl above certain GPA and MCAT actually have a smaller chance than ppl that is slightly above or below avg for the california schools (at least thats what it said and thats what they told me so I am not willing to argue about this with anybody regardless of their personal experiences)

Overall, I think you need to stop flipping out cuz you are fine.

Well, that might be the problem as well. If your stats are SO above these schools' averages, they might just think that you'll be going elsewhere. It might be in your best interest to apply to a greater number of lower tier schools.

It would be hard to comment on your application without seeing your LORs and personal statement.

Good luck! I think you have a solid shot at the schools to which you're applying. Just think about adding some more.

Nah, I mean, my stats are above average for, say, UC Irvine, but I doubt that's why I haven't received an invite.

and one more thing. Ive been complete at lot of the schools in July and still havent recieved some from schools "I should" get it from. So you just need to be more patient...

Hmmmm... see I dunno, but that might be "problematic". I think your numbers would overcome this, but, all I can say is that when I applied the first time I wrote something similar -- only with an Alzheimer's patient -- and it got me no love.

Adcoms seem to love and hate (but mostly love) the very traditional personal statement. :confused:

I'm positive they'll start rolling in once the non-rolling schools start sending out invites.:love: :thumbup:

Interesting. Why do you think it was problematic? And what's a traditional PS like? Not that it matters. I'm not doing this a third time. Just curious.

Other: You're a little too neurotic (i.e. expecting everything to fall into place a week into September)

Might I suggest a few weeks worth of booze, abstinence from SDN, and then reassess the situation?

I second that:thumbup:

Other: You're a little too neurotic (i.e. expecting everything to fall into place a week into September)

Might I suggest a few weeks worth of booze, abstinence from SDN, and then reassess the situation?

Third that, and oh yeh ... get some nooky. That should take your mind off it for a bit.

Heh. The wine's been flowing like a river. But yes, my friends have suggested that SDN is making more, rather than less, neurotic. Your second suggestion may be one I'll now put into effect.

It just takes one acceptance, and you should have no problems with that. Don't lose that sparkle in your eyes!

why did that post twice. Bummer.

I can't believe 6 people voted that you are solid, but not stellar. Are you kidding me? Since when is a 39 MCAT and 3.76 science gpa not stellar. What do you need these days to be considered stellar, a 4.0 and a 45? It must be a joke

I think what might be holding back interviews at this point is a combination of your re-applicant status and the school selection, with an emphesis more on the former. But if you dont get into medical school I simply would not be able to believe it.

If she is just solid but not stellar I must be a piece of **** applicant, even though I have 4 interviews at this point

Lack of publications. I had similar stats and ECs but didn't get any flood of interviews. At least you can probably count on wash u with your numbers.

I'd like to see a statistic showing how many ugrads applying to med school have a publication with their name on it. The length of time it takes for a publication to come together and to get accepted to a journal often makes it hard for a senior in college to have a publication.

Interesting. Why do you think it was problematic? And what's a traditional PS like? Not that it matters. I'm not doing this a third time. Just curious.

I think maybe they felt I didn't chronicle my own academic history and volunteer story enough... too "third persony", ya know? I think a traditional PS basically boils down to "I want to be a doctor because of _________, _______, and ______. My experiences ________, _________, and _________ demonstrate my sustained interest in medicine and ability to succeed in this career path."

I guess my point is that when I wrote about my interactions with the AD patient, even though I thought it demonstrated all the characteristics schools are looking for, I never just came out and said it... which seems to be what they want you to do.

I'd like to see a statistic showing how many ugrads applying to med school have a publication with their name on it. The length of time it takes for a publication to come together and to get accepted to a journal often makes it hard for a senior in college to have a publication.
A decent percentage do, especially at the caliber of schools she's interested in.
While a lot of publication is luck, if someone's done over a year's worth of research, a 2nd, 3rd or 4th authorship is not unreasonable.

A decent percentage do, especially at the caliber of schools she's interested in.
While a lot of publication is luck, if someone's done over a year's worth of research, a 2nd, 3rd or 4th authorship is not unreasonable.

I've done a year of research and we're (I'm writing most of it) in the process of writing the publication. It takes alot of time.

I can't believe 6 people voted that you are solid, but not stellar. Are you kidding me? Since when is a 39 MCAT and 3.76 science gpa not stellar. What do you need these days to be considered stellar, a 4.0 and a 45? It must be a joke

I think what might be holding back interviews at this point is a combination of your re-applicant status and the school selection, with an emphesis more on the former. But if you dont get into medical school I simply would not be able to believe it.

If she is just solid but not stellar I must be a piece of **** applicant, even though I have 4 interviews at this point

No, I mean, number one was actually my thinking (or my hope... Kind of disheartening how popular 3 is... :( ). My stats are good, but they're right - I haven't ever been published, and my clinical work is existent, but not significant, considering some people have been doing EMT work for four years or whatever, and I haven't had much leadership experience, so uh... solid, but not stellar.. Like, there's nothing WRONG with my app, but there's nothing extraordinarily remarkable about it. I think my strongest point is just my MCAT.

Oops I read the survey as "What do you guys think is the biggest problem in your app" :laugh: you can subtract 1 from the "solid not stellar" category. Now it is clear why I lost points in the VR section :laugh:

No, I mean, number one was actually my thinking (or my hope... Kind of disheartening how popular 3 is... :( ). My stats are good, but they're right - I haven't ever been published, and my clinical work is existent, but not significant, considering some people have been doing EMT work for four years or whatever, and I haven't had much leadership experience, so uh... solid, but not stellar.. Like, there's nothing WRONG with my app, but there's nothing extraordinarily remarkable about it. I think my strongest point is just my MCAT.

This is a PERFECT example of how disillusioned people become by reading these forums too much.

You have an MCAT score that is in the top 1-2% in the nation. You have an awesome GPA from a great undergrad institution, one of the most highly regarded in the country. You have done volunteer work in other countries. You have done research. Actually, I didn't even read everything you have on your MDapps because there was so much but here it is again in case anyone missed it

1. 6 mos. volunteering in a closed in-patient youth psychiatric ward.
2. One month volunteering in an AIDS orphanage in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
3. 3 mos. volunteering as a certfied first responder in Israel.
4. One year work in neuropsychology lab, where I wrote an honors thesis.
5. One year work in neurobiology lab.
6. 4 mos. work in a biochemistry lab.
7. 1+ years working in student run homeless clinic.
8. Volunteering in an organization that organizes sports activities for people with disabilities.
9. Working in an absorption center with Ethiopian immigrants to Israel.
10. Other activities that aren't quite as relevant to medicine.

These are on TOP of the ridiculous stats. I would like to know how not being "published" and not being an EMT holds someone back from being a stellar applicant. It's ridiculous in my opinion. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it but you are, uh - STELLAR, not just solid. I still think being a re-applicant is the primary reason, but I wish you the best of luck and i'm sure you will do just fine :luck:

BINGO! We have a winner! I don't want to get into the whole what you should/should not put in your personal statement debate again, but trying to be too cute by writing your personal statement about somebody else (and going too far overboard with the "telling a story" angle) is not a good idea, IMHO. Just answer the question.

Other: Arrogant
Wow did noone else catch this? You are lucky that you are a girl. If you were a guy, ppl wouldnt be putting up with your **** (other threads like "OMG I GOT UCLA INTERWVIEW! Who neeeds GW?)
You must be cocky in your personal statement as well. Good luck in your interviews *thumbs up*

People told me that you were arrogant at school
to see you bring that online in a community fulll of people well below your stats.. you are amazing.

You're strongest point is JUST your MCAT? You scored in the top 1% in the country. That's a pretty damn strong point to have. There are only going to be a few hundred people this entire cycle that apply with your kind of numbers, and they are not all applying to schools you applied to. Not to take anything away from people with EMTs or publications, but those things are relatively easy to do in comparison to acing the MCAT, if you start early enough in college. On top of that you're grades are good, so no one's going think or MCAT score was a fluke. I know numbers aren't everything but your numbers are definitely going to catch the attention of adcoms. Plus you've done all the other usual pre-med extracurricular stuff to show med schools that you have an interest in science and medicine. Most people in this process, including myself for one, aren't extraordinarily remarkable. I think you are giving other people a little too much credit and not enough credit to yourself. IMO, the main reason why you haven't gotten a ton of interviews is because you haven't been complete at place for all that long. There are lot of applicants who were complete before you, especially at the IVYs and the California schools. You should definitely give it more than two or three weeks before you panic. Speaking of trying to be less neurotic, I wouldn't pay any attention to that poll. The ten people who don't think a person with a 3.7+, a 39, and all the other pre-med stuff is stellar aren't in touch with reality. That being said, this process is a crap shoot. Even if a person is stellar, they could get denied an interview for any number of reasons not really related to how accomplished they are. Just relax and let things happen when they happen.

Wow did noone else catch this? You are lucky that you are a girl. If you were a guy, ppl wouldnt be putting up with your **** (other threads like "OMG I GOT UCLA INTERWVIEW! Who neeeds GW?)
You must be cocky in your personal statement as well. Good luck in your interviews *thumbs up*

to see you bring that online in a community fulll of people well below your stats.. you are amazing.

I'm not trying to take any personal shots at the OP, but this is a very good point. Arrogance can be a huge negative in this whole process, and the arrogance was already displayed when you applied to only 5 of the most prestigious schools in the country. If I were you, I would have focused your personal statement on the mistake you made last year by only applying to those schools

Well, in a further arrogant move, I'm sure I have no idea who the hell you are even if we've had classes together. The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. Good luck in life: you seem like a really nice and pleasant person, so you're probably a winner :thumbup:

HOLY ****. POSTS: 1.

Did you actually JOIN SDN to make that post?

I'm honored that I warrant such actions, dude.

This thread can't be real can it? If it is, the lack of perspective is frightening.

This sounds arrogant, but with my stats, I would have thought I'd receive a few more earlier interviews by now. What's my biggest problem, and is there anything I can do now to fix it? Should I let schools know I have a new RAing position at Stanford, or is it premature? Also, for option three, keep in mind I did shadow/volunteer regularly for six months this past year, which is by no means long term, but it's not just a dab, either.

You didn't apply to enough places. Thats it. Assuming you are a nice guy, you will be fine this time around.

You didn't apply to enough places. Thats it. Assuming you are a nice guy, you will be fine this time around.

Heh. I'm a nice girl. Arrogant, yes, but god, I'll try to hide it better this time around.

And for the record, yes, I am rather self-centered. But I'm a nice person. And I defy anyone to find me flinging unwarranted personal insults like a monkey with a turd. Far too popular a pursuit on this forum.

crap guess that means you're toast because you are not a nice guy. oy vey i crack myself up.

Heh. I'm a nice girl. Arrogant, yes, but god, I'll try to hide it better this time around.

And for the record, yes, I am rather self-centered. But I'm a nice person. And I defy anyone to find me flinging unwarranted personal insults like a monkey with a turd. Far too popular a pursuit on this forum.

My mistake. Assuming you are a nice GIRL, you will be fine next time around. And, since I didn't insult you, I'll assume your other comments were reserved for those who DID insult you, despite the fact that you quoted me in your response.

I think you need to apply to a greater range of schools too. Stats are not everything. The girl on this board who had a 43S in August 2004 didn't get into every school either. I won't say where she got in due to privacy issues. However, you can't rely on stats for everything.

You do have good ECs too. But, remember people at places like HMS include people who've done things like been a professional dancer or singer or on broadway. Even some of the best applicants still get rejected from there.

You can't really determine where you'll get in on stats alone because there are sooooo many other factors to take into account. you are better off picking a greater selection of schools.

Also at the top tiers, lack of publications could hurt you since they are research based schools and would like to see some publications.

It is early. Very, very early. My adcom has 500 applications to read in the next 2 weeks. From that group about 50-100 will get interviews. The first 500 have been read and interviews scheduled. The other 4000+ are in the hopper or awaiting August MCATs, letters, secondaries, etc.

My mistake. Assuming you are a nice GIRL, you will be fine next time around. And, since I didn't insult you, I'll assume your other comments were reserved for those who DID insult you, despite the fact that you quoted me in your response.

My comments were aimed at the above, you can rest assured.

If you don't get in somewhere, I am SOL!!!

If you came off as arrogant in your personal statement and secondaries that might hurt too but I won't comment on that since I haven't read your personal statement or secondary essays.

However I think another thing hurting both you and Severus is that you come from states where the state schools are extremely extremely competitive and don't always take 99% of their own candidates as is the case with Severus. but with you, your state just has all top 50 ranked schools for the most part and soooooooo many people that the competition is tough out there.

If either of you were florida residents or even texas residents, I bet $100 you'd both have tons of interviews by now.

However, interview invites at some schools just started recently so that could also contribute to it because it is still just the beginning of September. Let's see what happens by November and December.