what do you guys think of Psychoanalysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great summary! I love physics so we could start a new thread if you'd like. In my post I was trying (and failing!) not to be longwinded, although I do know quite a bit of the history of quantum mechanics. But it's not like Heisenberg got to his principle simply by pouring over measurements of energy and time, location and speed, and running them through a spreadsheet. I mean, there was a lot of pure reasoning in the process. In medicine we look at data and crunch numbers. It's a totally different use of math and logic. But I think your explanation of a priori and a posteriori is excellent.

I am so up on my calculus. No one ever asks me anymore, so I'm glad you did! If I ever go back to school again for something else it will be math and physics. :) I want to do all these psych fellowships though, and then work with patients, so I might not get to it for awhile!

Hi Nancysinatra,
Yeah, I've found that not many people interested in medicine are also interested in math... You and I are similar, I guess. Actually I'm doing a combined MD/PhD deal starting in the summer and I want to get into computational neuroscience. I like to learn math, and I like to learn about brains, so it seems like a natural match.

I'm a little bit concerned, though, that computational neuroscience is not the kind of thing that's going to lead to finding the cures to diseases, which is kind of what MD/PhDs are there for... So I'm not sure exactly how things will work out... in any case, I won't have to pick a lab for a couple years, so I hope things work out.

Yeah, I have a lot of sympathy for wanting to do math, and research, and see patients as a psychiatrist... I even want to do more things. I wonder how this is going to work out in my life? I guess I'll have to give up something.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Nancysinatra,
Yeah, I've found that not many people interested in medicine are also interested in math... You and I are similar, I guess. Actually I'm doing a combined MD/PhD deal starting in the summer and I want to get into computational neuroscience. I like to learn math, and I like to learn about brains, so it seems like a natural match.

I'm a little bit concerned, though, that computational neuroscience is not the kind of thing that's going to lead to finding the cures to diseases, which is kind of what MD/PhDs are there for... So I'm not sure exactly how things will work out... in any case, I won't have to pick a lab for a couple years, so I hope things work out.

Yeah, I have a lot of sympathy for wanting to do math, and research, and see patients as a psychiatrist... I even want to do more things. I wonder how this is going to work out in my life? I guess I'll have to give up something.

yes. Difficult to give things up sometimes. Alternatives exclude.

(prize for whoever gets the reference.)