What do YOU like about these MD/PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collinsc

Aspiring Peds CV Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So here are a list of schools I'm thinking about. I was wondering if there was anyone who has interviewed or is currently attending any of these institutions that could tell me what makes them stand out or why they like them. I think it would be fun to see from those who have visited! I know that a great deal of this is more personal choice but I was just curious.

(in random order)

• Oregon Heath Sciences University School of Medicine
  • UC San Fran
  • UC Davis
  • UC San Diego
  • Baylor
  • University of Washington
  • UCLA David Geffen
  • Univ of Texas Houston
  • University of Louisville
  • Creighton
  • University of Iowa
  • Vanderbilt
  • UC Irvine
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Texas Southwestern
  • University of Nebraska
  • University of Colorado
  • Univ of Texas San Antonio
  • University of Arizona
  • University of Kansas
  • University of Oklahoma
  • Loma Linda
  • University of New Mexico
  • Stanford University

Take your pick, rep your school and let me know what you think stood out to you (be it good or bad). Hope to hear from you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor and Vanderbilt are both nice because they are bigger programs. I got extremely good impression from both schools when I interviewed.

I loved Baylor for the ridiculous amount of research opportunities, and the ability to rotate through every kind of hospital possible within a few blocks. Its in the largest medical center in the world, so that's pretty amazing, and provides TONS of PIs to choose from. Also, the cost of living in Houston is surprisingly low. Really nice people and very involved program directors and assistant directors.

Vanderbilt had some of the coolest students of all the places I visited. The program director is amazing, and they do a lot of fun things. Also, it had a lot of great research and the cost of living was not too shabby.

I fell in love with both schools when I interviewed there. Baylor is WAY too far away from my family for it to be an option, and Vandy is pretty far as well. But Vandy is so awesome that I will seriously consider it if they end up extending me an offer. If you're looking in the area, consider UVA as well. It's a really great program, and I love it. :love:

I'd be very, very cautious about this kind of information prior to interviewing at a school. Not that you don't want more info about a place, but you don't want to fall in love with a school that might not even let you get past the secondary stage.

More pertinent info at this point might be looking for serious drawbacks to schools (for example, which schools are not fully funded) or for schools that are particularly strong in the area of science you're interested in.

Apply as broadly as you can (given finances, time, and other issues), then learn to love the schools you actually get a chance to look at yourself. If you're lucky, you can then ask for this kind of information a year from now, from all the schools that have accepted you :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be very, very cautious about this kind of information prior to interviewing at a school. Not that you don't want more info about a place, but you don't want to fall in love with a school that might not even let you get past the secondary stage.

More pertinent info at this point might be looking for serious drawbacks to schools (for example, which schools are not fully funded) or for schools that are particularly strong in the area of science you're interested in.

Apply as broadly as you can (given finances, time, and other issues), then learn to love the schools you actually get a chance to look at yourself. If you're lucky, you can then ask for this kind of information a year from now, from all the schools that have accepted you :).

I agree with you. I would be applying as broadly as I could. But I was just curious to see if anyone had anything that stuck out negatively or positively. Like I said, I know a lot of it is subjective but I was just curious :)

I suggest asking this question after interviewing at the above schools. Preformed notions may distort your perception, or make you subconsciously "sniff" for the mentioned traits. after you've had your first-hand impression, narrow it down to fewers schools and ask the same question, this time to get others' perspectives that may give you a more complete picture and enhance decision-making.

I suggest asking this question after interviewing at the above schools. Preformed notions may distort your perception, or make you subconsciously "sniff" for the mentioned traits. after you've had your first-hand impression, narrow it down to fewers schools and ask the same question, this time to get others' perspectives that may give you a more complete picture and enhance decision-making.

Good advice. Thanks! Guess I didn't think about the subconscious sniffs or impressions I may give off before interviewing. Good point!