What do you make of this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm part URM, although I'm mostly white, and one of my schools sent me an email asking me to write an essay on my minority heritage and how it relates to medicine. Does this mean they don't believe me and want to reject me or are they simply curious/interested?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm part URM, although I'm mostly white, and one of my schools sent me an email asking me to write an essay on my minority heritage and how it relates to medicine. Does this mean they don't believe me and want to reject me or are they simply curious/interested?

They are curious and interested. I don't think they'll ask (or bother) additional info from you if they want to reject you to begin with. Regardless, I would just make a well written statement and hope for the best :)

How are you mostly white and a URM? What is your minority heritage?

Members don't see this ad :)

I hope you don't look completely white because that interview is going to go down the drain.

I hope you don't look completely white because that interview is going to go down the drain.

Please tell me it's not something like "my grandmother is a quarter cherokee"

Please tell me it's not something like "my grandmother is a quarter cherokee"

haha
they have certain standards that they use to determine URM status in situations like this one - I think there is a certain percentage of URM "blood" you need to have. Not sure if the 1/16 Cherokee or whatever cuts it

:laugh: :laugh:

haha
they have certain standards that they use to determine URM status in situations like this one - I think there is a certain percentage of URM "blood" you need to have. Not sure if the 1/16 Cherokee or whatever cuts it

obviosuly 1/16 cuts its that is like 1/16 of all your chromosomes come come from that one person, that is like saying at least one of ur chromosome came from that person. i mean come on, it is not a marginal difference.

haha

If it does I need to send in some update letters!!!!

OP if you are what your username suggests you better go withdraw that application.

Seriously, URM status is meant for people who either have been discriminated against because of their race or for people who lived in the manner of a certain culture and therefore have some disadvantages compared to others.

I'm 1/16th Cherokee, but no one would ever know I am nor have I ever lived on a reservation. Therefore, I am not URM.

And if you want to look at it from the perspective of AA being for the patients not the doctors, then an American Indian isn't going to feel anymore comfortable being with me (1/16) than they will be with a completely white doctor.

I agree with the poster above me, if the OP is what the username suggests you need to pull any apps that are considering you as URM BEFORE they meet you in an interview.

Doesn't anyone else think its bogus to expect an additional essay out of somebody because they're a urm? (regardless of how mcuh of a urm the op is).

Doesn't anyone else think its bogus to expect an additional essay out of somebody because they're a urm? (regardless of how mcuh of a urm the op is).

I think the point of the essay is to ascertain if the OP actually is an URM.