What do you read to stay current?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koko

Koko
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One rec from an attending was to subcribe to The Medical Letter. Today I received a discounted offer for Journal Watch. Any thoughts on those two, or others?

I'm looking for hi-yield journals due to the vast amounts of free time I will be sure to have in residency. :)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Koko said:
One rec from an attending was to subcribe to The Medical Letter. Today I received a discounted offer for Journal Watch. Any thoughts on those two, or others?

I'm looking for hi-yield journals due to the vast amounts of free time I will be sure to have in residency. :)

Thanks.

Stay away from journals in residency. Not that they are not important, but rather there is enough "basic" material to master. Find a text / comprehensive review book that you like. For me it is River's fleshed out with Harwood-Nuss (or Hedges for procedures). Then set a fixed amount of minimum "study time" each day and stick with it until it is a habit. When you reach junior faculty the habit should remain and you can switch from the basic texts to journals. But for now, learn the basics.

- H

Forbes and the Robb Report...Oh you mean for EM!

Paul

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get EM RAP, then you don't even have to read! Lazy man's paradise!

I like the EMRAP audio series.

EMRAP and audio digest are great. I also really like Rivers + text and a source of review questions. I read annals and academic EM every month, and randomly litsearch topics whenever.

FoughtFyr said:
Stay away from journals in residency. Not that they are not important, but rather there is enough "basic" material to master. Find a text / comprehensive review book that you like. For me it is River's fleshed out with Harwood-Nuss (or Hedges for procedures). Then set a fixed amount of minimum "study time" each day and stick with it until it is a habit. When you reach junior faculty the habit should remain and you can switch from the basic texts to journals. But for now, learn the basics.

- H

I appreciate the fact that my focus needs to be the basics, but I feel like I should also make some routine attempt to read the literature. Even if it's just once/week - do you really feel that's impractical?

For a review book, I have heard of River's, but it's quite pricey so I bought "EM Just the Facts". Is that comparable? Given the price differential, I would doubt it, but how do they compare?

Thanks for the advice.

kungfufishing said:
EMRAP and audio digest are great.

What are EMRAP and audio digest? I've never tried audio learning. Given that that I'm a visual learner, do you guys think that the audio tapes will stick? I sense you guys are big fans...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Koko said:
I appreciate the fact that my focus needs to be the basics, but I feel like I should also make some routine attempt to read the literature. Even if it's just once/week - do you really feel that's impractical?

For a review book, I have heard of River's, but it's quite pricey so I bought "EM Just the Facts". Is that comparable? Given the price differential, I would doubt it, but how do they compare?

Thanks for the advice.

For me, I actually glance at the literature "in the office" (or the throne room, outhouse, pick your euphamism). I read the occasional article the piques my interest. But for regular and rountine study, I believe the texts are the way to go. The in-service is extensive and in-depth, and only covers the "standards" (as opposed to new literature). Using that as a guage of what I know and don't know, I think sticking to the basics is probably best. Besides, how am I to consider the impact of a new paper on my practice pattern when I don't even have a practice pattern yet. I figure if I set up lifetime learning habits now, I will have time to add in the journals later.

Just my $0.02 (actual cash value $0.005)

- H

Actually being too up on the literature can hurt you as far as the in-training exam is concerned. For instance, the last in-training exam tested ACLS algorithms based on the 2000 guidelines. If you answered based on 2005 guidelines, you could theoretically get some questions wrong.

FoughtFyr said:
For me, I actually glance at the literature "in the office" (or the throne room, outhouse, pick your euphamism). I read the occasional article the piques my interest. But for regular and rountine study, I believe the texts are the way to go. The in-service is extensive and in-depth, and only covers the "standards" (as opposed to new literature). Using that as a guage of what I know and don't know, I think sticking to the basics is probably best. Besides, how am I to consider the impact of a new paper on my practice pattern when I don't even have a practice pattern yet. I figure if I set up lifetime learning habits now, I will have time to add in the journals later.

Just my $0.02 (actual cash value $0.005)

- H

Well, I guess the good news is that I have long ago established the practice of lifetime learning while in "my office". :) So, the question remains: what does FF read while in the office (please, keep it professional).

Also, any comment on River's v. Ma's "Just the Facts"?

Thanks.

southerndoc said:
Actually being too up on the literature can hurt you as far as the in-training exam is concerned. For instance, the last in-training exam tested ACLS algorithms based on the 2000 guidelines. If you answered based on 2005 guidelines, you could theoretically get some questions wrong.

That's something that I thought about when I was down at MD and Dr. Mattu described their approach to didactics and reading the current literature in lieu of texts. Liked the idea, but was concerned that it could make hoop jumping more difficult in February.

Koko said:
Also, any comment on River's v. Ma's "Just the Facts"?

I have, and use, both. River's is like BRS for EM. I really like that format. I can't explain why; it just works for me. I used it for the in-service and am using it for general studying as well.

Just the Facts is sort of like Rivers with complete sentences (bulleted but still more or less complete). It's is Tintinalli without the verbosity. IMHO, it is also easier to read. I've found Tintinalli to be poorly written from a readability standpoint. I think Rosens, although more verbose, is more consistently well written. Too bad I can't afford it.

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
I have, and use, both. River's is like BRS for EM. I really like that format. I can't explain why; it just works for me. I used it for the in-service and am using it for general studying as well.

Just the Facts is sort of like Rivers with complete sentences (bulleted but still more or less complete). It's is Tintinalli without the verbosity. IMHO, it is also easier to read. I've found Tintinalli to be poorly written from a readability standpoint. I think Rosens, although more verbose, is more consistently well written. Too bad I can't afford it.

Take care,
Jeff

Thanks!

I like those little newsletters I get in the mail, they are perfect "throne" reading for me (I think they're called Grand Rounds in EM... not sure). I don't know why I get them or what organizaiton I signed up to get them with, but they're pretty good. Very speciifc topic based and easy reading.

I read Annals whenever my "to do" pile list stacks up too much and my wife mves it to the other room... but its a real snoozer most of the time ('cept for the pics). I do read JEM, which I find to be a little easier to read (I like case reports).

And then of course if I see a clinical question at work, then I'll do a lit search and figure out if there are any new articles.

One thing I REALLY have enjoyed, especially this past year, is the "ACEP Clinical Policies." If you've never read them, I suggest you read them.

Only if you're an intern or resident.

If you're an M4 and are reading htem, I'll smack you.

Q

DrQuinn said:
One thing I REALLY have enjoyed, especially this past year, is the "ACEP Clinical Policies." If you've never read them, I suggest you read them.

Only if you're an intern or resident.

If you're an M4 and are reading htem, I'll smack you.

Q

I guess I'll wait a few months when I will (hopefully) be an intern. :laugh:

Thanks.

Does anyone use UpToDate? I recently made a list of common chief complaints in EM (taken from Part I of Rosen's) and downloaded overview articles from UpToDate for each topic. This seems to be a pretty decent way to study so far (most of the articles are reasonably short). Thoughts?

AlienHand said:
Does anyone use UpToDate? I recently made a list of common chief complaints in EM (taken from Part I of Rosen's) and downloaded overview articles from UpToDate for each topic. This seems to be a pretty decent way to study so far (most of the articles are reasonably short). Thoughts?

only a medical student here but am a huge advocate of uptodate. They seem to be in production of Emergency medicine uptodate, which will definitely be transferred to my pocket pc. i love uptodate!

AlienHand said:
Does anyone use UpToDate?

I think UpToDate must be Latin for verbose. Man, they really like their words.

If I have lots of time to focus on just one patient (say, when I was on medicine) or if I really need to find something out after the fact, I'll use it. Good information, just time-consuming.

I'm a huge fan of emedicine.com. It's like an UpToDate that can get to the point quickly. Perfect for my attention span.

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
I think UpToDate must be Latin for verbose. Man, they really like their words.

If I have lots of time to focus on just one patient (say, when I was on medicine) or if I really need to find something out after the fact, I'll use it. Good information, just time-consuming.

I'm a huge fan of emedicine.com. It's like an UpToDate that can get to the point quickly. Perfect for my attention span.

Take care,
Jeff
Agree. When I'm in the ED, I'll just go to google and type "Emedicine and X" and it will show up. I can read it in three minutes and get enough to know what to do.

Q

www.emrap.us

Audio lectures on various topics in EM. Good listening while waiting in traffic in DC.

st0rmin said:
www.emrap.us

Audio lectures on various topics in EM. Good listening while waiting in traffic in DC.

Thanks.

Metro beats those roads... ;)