What do you save?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone currently in vet school can give some feedback on what materials you saved/use from undergrad?

Trying to decide what to do with organic chem, biochem, biology, genetics, calc, molecular biology etc. I have texts and notes.

My guess is I will keep too much. I saved most of my undergrad stuff the first time around and almost never looked at it.

Do you still use any of your undergrad stuff as references?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Ya, good Q. Ive saved most of my sci books from undergrad too. I used a couple of them for my upper level courses, but never used them after school. But whats the point of selling it for 10$??? its worth so much more lol i think ill keep them forever. even my dad has old sci books, its kinda cool

The only science related book I look back on every once in a very long while is my mammalian reproduction book. Can't say I miss my calc book or organic chemistry book at all. :rolleyes: I don't even really look back at any of my books from first year of vet school except epidemiology every once in a great while when you have to refresh about sensitivity, specificity, etc. I look at my anatomy books every once in a while, but often the surgery books will also have diagrams of the anatomy as well. The second and third year books tend to come in handy more, especially the surgery and medicine books, sometimes radiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have sold back most of my science books throught the years. It has given me back enough money to pay for at least half of the books for the following semester (I buy my books for dirt cheap online and have a couple times made money selling my books back). I figured once I get to vet school that the books I buy will have the information I need to learn and never have really thought twice about selling a book back. I hope I will not need any undergrad books once I get to vet school, but I still think anything that I will need will be in the books I buy for vet school.

Personally, I save everything, as I tend to be a pack rat (only stuff I got rid of was my calc notes - BLECH!!! Did not want those anywhere near my vicinity, lol)... As far as what I've used... It seems many don't get to take these courses before hand, so it may be a moot point, but pretty much just my parasitology notes & my immunology text. Would I have done worse without? Probably not, but sometimes it's just easier to go back to something you're more familiar with. I will say though, that the Kuby Immuno book is probably one of the best textbooks I've ever used, so if you end up in Immunology & are feeling a little overwhelmed I definitely recommend it!

If you have a biochemistry book and immunology book I would save those. If I had still had mine from undergrad those would have been more than sufficient to get me through this year. I ended up having to purchase those all over again :rolleyes:

If you have a biochemistry book and immunology book I would save those. If I had still had mine from undergrad those would have been more than sufficient to get me through this year. I ended up having to purchase those all over again :rolleyes:

I second that. I NEVER use any of my undergrad or grad books for vet school. That said, I reccomend saving your immuno book if it was good and possibly your medical pysiology book (if you took it in undergrad/grad). Believe me, vet school will supply you with ALL the learning materials you can handle lol :laugh:

I second that. I NEVER use any of my undergrad or grad books for vet school. That said, I reccomend saving your immuno book if it was good and possibly your medical pysiology book (if you took it in undergrad/grad). Believe me, vet school will supply you with ALL the learning materials you can handle lol :laugh:

AGREED! :thumbup:

I have so many undergrad books piled up because I either thought it might be useful or I just forgot/too lazy to resell :laugh:. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? Is ebay a good source?

i use half.com (owned by ebay)

The only text I've used is Pasquini's Anatomy book (required for the online Colorado State anatomy course VS333) -- I used that more than Miller's for anatomy (although it is lacking in some areas).