What do you see an increase in during the holidays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wackie

Inappropriate, always
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've notice a drastic rise in the amount of psych cases from suicidal thoughts, attempted suicide, OD, extreme attempts to lose weight...

I guess people really do get depressed around the holidays. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a PGY2 so my experience is limited but attendings tell me that we get more CHF exacerbations because of the high salt content of the typical holiday foods.

I'm in a college town so we get less ODs when the kids are gone for the holidays.

What else.......broken hips from the ice, I guess.

Oh, and lots of annoying out-of-town patients, who get sick with something. "I take three of those little round pills in the morning"......

Members don't see this ad :)
Grandma(s) seems to get sick more often.

Everybody deserves a little more attention during the holidays.

Oh and head injuries from hanging up Christmas lights.

-Mike

I swear I see more finger lacs. Seems like everyone is trying to cook and is doing stuff they normally don't do under lots of stress. Knives, can lids, broken glasses, etc.

I see a lot more old people from the nursing homes, because people go visit them and they seem sicker than last year.
I also see more non bum alcohol overdoses.

I have to say that we kicked off the "Suicide Season" quite well over the Thanksgiving weekend. Gotta love when people decide to chase their Lortab/Percocet with EtOH and then throw in some other recreational drugs.

And definitely see the Nursing Home crowd. But this is every red letter holiday. Granny just don't seem as spry as she did last time we saw her. We better rush her to the ED via ambulance running lights and sirens.

And have to say that it's also the season of Trauma. Apparently people become even more drunk and/or stupid around the holidays.

****ty holiday schedules for residents.

Kiddos under 6 weeks with fever. WHY won't the 6 year old with a cold stay home? SO much easier than a tap, BCx and UCx + 48 hours of amp/gent.

Yargh.

Hgb A1Cs, also Rotator Cuff injuries from the all too frequent credit card swipe.

I have to say that we kicked off the "Suicide Season" quite well over the Thanksgiving weekend. Gotta love when people decide to chase their Lortab/Percocet with EtOH and then throw in some other recreational drugs.

And definitely see the Nursing Home crowd. But this is every red letter holiday. Granny just don't seem as spry as she did last time we saw her. We better rush her to the ED via ambulance running lights and sirens.

And have to say that it's also the season of Trauma. Apparently people become even more drunk and/or stupid around the holidays.

Probably because I said it, yesterday, not a single crazy person was seen (unless you want to call the guy who skipped dialysis and now had audible ronchi crazy). It was "Gomer Day" (buncha old people) yesterday. The majority really were sick/injured. This is weird. :confused:
And everyone spoke english too!