What do you think? 2nd Time Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclawill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I applied very late last cycle, (app turned in Nov 24th, DAT states delayed till Jan 22 score reports mailed).

I plan to apply ~ June 17th this time around to help my chances. Here are my stats:

UCLA Biology Grad 2007
Asian American Male

GPA Overall/Sci ~ 3.0
- Last 5 Quarters ~ 3.3-3.4
(Disabled Student for 2.5 years, severe fatigue and mobility hinderence)

Lots of Dental Shadow and UCLA Clinic Volunteer
Good ExtraCur

DAT 2006 Dec 8th

PAT 23
AA 20
TS 20

Bio 18
Gchem 21
Ochem 23
Reading Comp - 19
QR - 18

Plan to Retake DAT (21-22+ all across hopefully) End of August

I am applying to:

USC
UCLA
UCSF
UoP
UNLV
Loma Linda

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also taking 2007 Summer school, and will most likely be accepted into a Post-Bac Program at CSULA.

I think you should apply to more schools to increase the change of getting the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
i would but I am tied to the west coast due to family and personal reasons

Ya know, at first look it almost looks like your talking to yourself :D. I agree, more schools.

There's another D-school opening in Pomona (I think) in a few years. I would say apply to more, but since you can't maybe add Arizona into the mix and definitely do that post-bacc program.

Also, I would say you have the best chance of getting into USC, so start contacting them NOW. Go to their webiste, they usually have a tour and Q/A about PBL once a month. Develop a relationship with someone in the admissions office and bring your stats to them and ask them what they think.

Good luck!

+1 for ego stroking!

How is it ego stroking? With his GPA and DAT? (I am not trying to diss the OP or anything).

I am in the same boat as you, but without the excuse of disability, just my own inability.
If you are tied to the west coast, I would say those are the only school options you have. Definitely up the DAT. Might even try to aim for the 23-25 AA, which will help greatly. Other than that, you might try looking into master or post-bac programs as well in order to push that GPA up.

All in all... good luck, I hopefully we will be seeing each other at an interview place. :)

There's another D-school opening in Pomona (I think) in a few years.

I believe you're referring to Western University of Health Sciences located in Pomona, CA. There are already established DO, PT, PharmD, nursing and veterinarian programs there. It's supposed to open up for the incoming class of 2009.

ya im taking 3 classes this summer, then enrolling in a post bac program in the fall to raise my bcp and overall gpa

actually my 23 score on the pat was a 99%, so thats just my luck

im planning on retaking the dat like i said, score higher this time, and hopefully ill be able to get into on of those schools.

i might be teaching at kaplan over the next year or 2, do you guys think that will be a good addition to my dental resume?

is there anything else i should aim to do in this next year.

i know its not the best, but if everything goes as expected, by academic update I should have a 3.2 GPA, Science and 2.95 BCP over ~215 quarter units

im guessing theres not much i can do except, take more undergraduate science classes, and do better on the dat.