What do you think about CC classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tifftaff81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking some CC courses and wanted to know what you all think. I am going to take some mental health classes for GPA damage control. I was young and got varying grades for my BSN. I also want to take pre-calc, calc, chem 1-2 and physics 1-2. What do you think?? I am only doing this because of the cost of taking classes at the 4 yr univ. I already have student loan debt and dont want to keep tacking it on. I have figured out that I can pay half before the pay deadline and then set up a payment plan to pay the rest of that class/classes by the end of the term. What do you think?? Do the latter or take some classes at the CC??
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you just entering school?

I'm a recent high school graduate. I took a CC class in my junior year. It was a good class but demanding for a student running on a high school schedule. It was only an English class, but a lot of work was required as we met up only each week and sometimes the teacher would even make us submit work in the middle of the week. Peer collaboration was necessary and talking over the internet with some of my peers helped me a lot.

I never really considered CC later on because I was focused on some particularly really good private schools...none of which I got into :(. I got into some other schools I was considering but were expensive and I was really unsure, so I'm now enrolled in a public university and may split my schedule in order to take half public uni classes/ half CC classes. The CC here provides wonderful options for CC enrolled students. In the state I live in, if you are enrolled as a full time CC student, you are eligible to take up to seven credits of your full time credits at the state university for the price of a CC. It is called inter-institutional program. Check to see if your state has it. The benefit is if you feel like the state university might give you a better education for a class you may really need towards your major, you can take the class there and take your other general ed requirements at the CC.

Even if your state does not have that program, I've started to believe that CC is a wonderful option. It is very economical and encourages/introduces a lot of career pathways through their course selection. I've only taken one class at the CC and I wouldn't call it mediocre. I really recommend you enroll in the CC, but like I said, thoroughly see what programs they offer parallel to the state colleges/universities. You can find some great deals you never knew about!

One last note, I've realized most CC classes are designed so that they meet up a few times a week. I think this might be because most CC students must work and the classes make it so that the student can work at fair times during the week. It might be a good idea to get a job and save up if you consider to transfer after receiving your associates degree.

Best wishes
-Bagel

If your goal is to get in any med school, CC is perfectly fine, even for the pre-reqs, but you will hear otherwise on SDN, so beware.

But also know that some med schools state a "preference" for pre-reqs done at a 4 year uni over a CC...in a perfect world, you would take all classes at a 4 year uni...but especially for non-trads going back to get the pre-reqs after having earned a bachelor's degree, sometimes CC is the only way to go...

(full disclosure - I am a non-trad, and I went to a post bacc at a high falutin' 4 year school even though I had a much cheaper option at a nearby CC...I decided that I wanted the challenge and recognition of the post bacc uni since I went undergrad to a small, regionally known LAC, and i wanted the big bad 4 year research uni on the top of my transcript and committee letter...I am also aiming pretty high up the "food chain" of med schools and did not want to give those schools any reason to reject me out of hand based on having done the pre-reqs at a CC in combo with a "lesser" UG, even though they may still cut me for the latter...).

Good luck.

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind is that CC's will generally have smaller class sizes than the 4 yr Uni's. It is also possible to do honors at the CC level.

Check out Phi Theta Kappa. The meager membership is worth having the possitive mention on your transcript.

Good luck with your journey!

Cheers,

JB