What do you think I should do?

Started by Debster
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Debster

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok here goes, I graduated from FAU a little over 4 yrs ago(I'm 27 now). I graduated with a ridiculously low gpa. It was good enough to graduate but not good enough for Pharmacy school( it was just under 2.5, I cringe saying that). I still regret to this day graduating, I think I should have stayed and boosted my gpa. After that, I checked out. I knew I couldn't get in anywhere w my gpa so I sort of stopped trying. But this past year, I have been studying for the pcat and have taken a few classes(only 3 bc I have to pay out of pocket and I'm not doing so well with finances) and have gotten A's in them. My pcat studying is going pretty good too. I have just been taking jobs that pay the bills but I have been sending out my resume and applying for pharmacy tech positions to gain some experience. My problem is that they start very low and I don't think I can live off $9-11/hr. But I guess I have no choice.

So my questions are:

Am I going to have to take years of classes to boost my gpa? Or will they look at my current grades? And if they will look at my current grades, how will they notice if they immediately toss my app because of my gpa from my undergrad?

Should I keep looking for pharmacy tech jobs or can I do something else that will look good to the admissions dept?

This is a shot in the dark, but are there any schools that offer something like a probation period where you take courses for a year and they would admit those who excelled? I think I'm grasping at straws on that one. And I think LECOM is the only one to offer Post Bacc, am I right?

I know I'm a better student now. I'm older and wiser and really want to get the ball rolling. I just hope it won't have to take me years to prove it. I will if I have to though, because I know this is what I want to do with my life.
 
Ok here goes, I graduated from FAU a little over 4 yrs ago(I'm 27 now). I graduated with a ridiculously low gpa. It was good enough to graduate but not good enough for Pharmacy school( it was just under 2.5, I cringe saying that). I still regret to this day graduating, I think I should have stayed and boosted my gpa. After that, I checked out. I knew I couldn't get in anywhere w my gpa so I sort of stopped trying. But this past year, I have been studying for the pcat and have taken a few classes(only 3 bc I have to pay out of pocket and I'm not doing so well with finances) and have gotten A's in them. My pcat studying is going pretty good too. I have just been taking jobs that pay the bills but I have been sending out my resume and applying for pharmacy tech positions to gain some experience. My problem is that they start very low and I don't think I can live off $9-11/hr. But I guess I have no choice.

So my questions are:

Am I going to have to take years of classes to boost my gpa? Or will they look at my current grades? And if they will look at my current grades, how will they notice if they immediately toss my app because of my gpa from my undergrad?

Should I keep looking for pharmacy tech jobs or can I do something else that will look good to the admissions dept?

This is a shot in the dark, but are there any schools that offer something like a probation period where you take courses for a year and they would admit those who excelled? I think I'm grasping at straws on that one. And I think LECOM is the only one to offer Post Bacc, am I right?

I know I'm a better student now. I'm older and wiser and really want to get the ball rolling. I just hope it won't have to take me years to prove it. I will if I have to though, because I know this is what I want to do with my life.

USN has an academic forgiveness program. Check them out.

I graduated from my 4 year with a 2.8 and spent three years taking sciences and other pre reqs post-bac (and retaking two from my horribly sad freshman year). Overall science: 3.21 as calculated by PharmCAS. I have interviews/have interviewed and was ranked waitlisted at one school. Two of the schools are top tier (in top 10). My postbac is 3.9 and i have over five years tech experience.

Many people before you have posted a similar story and we do our best to give advice/suggestions.

My suggestions:

1. get a pharm tech job or pharmacy volunteer position. You will need it to offset your crappy GPA. Suck it up and deal with the 9-11 bucks an hour.
2. Get all A's from here on out and retake any science courses you got C's in. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
3. Do some EC's - volunteering wherever or however.
4. Look into schools that admit at a lower GPA threshold. Check out pharmcas to compare them all.
5. Maybe do some shadowing. you are going to need incredibly strong letters of recommendation!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another thing to consider is that for a lot of schools you're approaching the point where your classes will be too old to be considered. Although that may be a good thing in your case.
 
I feel like i'm reading my own story. I'm 28 and graduated in 2005 with a less than stellar gpa. I also felt that my scores were too low to persue a career in pharmacy. Just like you, i studied for months for the pcat and took additional courses, made A's, and currently work for a forensic science company. If your finances can hold up I would def take a pharm tech job which would only provide experience and show commitment to your goals. I would contact the schools you intend to apply to and briefly explain your situation and let them know what you've done since graduating..get to know them on a personal level without being overly aggressive, if possible. Ask the school what you can do to improve your chances of being admitted. Whatever they suggest, do it to the max..if you succeed in their 'wants' then the ball is in their court. Also, schools may look favorably upon individuals who are a bit older. Its not how you start but how you finish.
 
I called an admissions lady a couple of weeks ago. She sounded and acted like a totally snooty b****. Hopefully, your results will be better.
 
Honestly - you will get into a pharmacy school. If you don't care where you want to go, you have nothing to worry about.

Def Apply to: Thomas Jefferson, South, MCPHS, USN, and New England.
 
I want to thank all of you for taking the time to answer my post. You were all very helpfull and not discouraging in any way. Thank you very much!!!!! I'll be using all of your advices. Thanks again!!! Anymore advice is welcome 🙂🙂🙂
 
To rxlea,
You said get all A's on the science courses with C, right?
Are you talking about undergraduate courses?
Because I have similar situation with Debster, basically I don't have
a good GPA. Therefore, I am struggling what to do now. I really want to enhance my GPA.
However, I graduated from UC last year. And, if I go back to my university through EXTENSION( i think that's the only way) then it will cost me too much. In addition, my univerisity won't let me retake any class if it's above C, so there is no way for me to go back and retake. Other advice to fix the bad grades???

To Debster,
Did you decide what to do with your situation? If you did, hope you don't mind to share your decision with us. I am still deciding what to do...

Thank you so much!