What do you think???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurt10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the chance to go to Honduras next week on a dental service trip with 11 dentists and about 30 pre dental students. We will be going to a dental school and training their staff and students (well the dentists will). I would love to go, it would be a great experience, but it costs about 2 grand. That's a lot of money. do you guys and gals think this helps a lot on an application, because that is about the only way I can think of talking myself into spending that much money. I do really want to go, and as a bonus i speak spanish. what do you thing i have to turn in my money probably friday(today).

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be a tremendous experience, if you decide to go. You might learn a lot and convey your experiences in your personal statement while putting your Spanish to good use. And you would get the chance to travel and make worthwhile connections with Hondurans as well as dentists and pre-dental students. As far as paying $2000, I think that is a judgement you will have to make for yourself - I don't know your personal financial situation. It certainly sounds like a great opportunity! :thumbup:

That would kick a$$ on an application!! It shows community service, dedication to the field, shadowing experience and teaching experience all at once.

Remember, the interview is what gets you into most schools (your DAT/GPA just gets you into the interview). That's a great thing to talk about, especially in schools where community service is stressed. I know ASDOH would eat it up!

If you got the $, go!