• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

WHat do you think???

monaarts

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
Hello everyone,
I have been thinking for a while now about going to college to be a doctor, most likely a surgeon of some type. The only problem is that I am doubtful that I will be able to get into a decent Med School and residency when those times come.

Why? Well, at the age of 17 (almost 5 years ago) I dropped out of High School because of some family problems. I had the original intentions of getting a GED right away and start college part-time soon after. But that never happened.

I got my GED a little over a year ago and I started taking some classes at a local community college right outside of Atlanta, GA. I did EXTREMELY well on my GED and have been kicking butt for the most part in college, my GPA after 1 summer semester and 1 fall semester is 3.40 or so. (English 1 - A; English 2 - A; Communications - B; Health - C)....

Now the problem.... I am afraid that because I have a GED and my GPA isn't like a 4.0 that I will not be able to get into a good med school or residency program. Should I possibly waste my time and take the VERY LITTLE chance I have getting into a Med school, do you think I have a good chance, or do you think that I should just all together give up the hopes of becoming a surgeon?

I would like to thank you in advance for your response!

-Joe

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Calm down. Having a GED will have no negative impact on your medical school application. It might actually help you since you'll have a couple of years (and life experience) on your peers when applying and something a little different about you.

A GPA of 3.4 in your early years can EASILY be overcome to bring it up to par. Just make sure you learn how to study and study a little bit, very often. Keep your grades up (especially the sciences) and do well on the MCAT. You'll be a shoe-in if you can demonstrate the passion and desire for medicine.

Trust me, it's much better to have entered college later without a string of bad college grades and to do well academically than it is to re-enter college later and try to make-up for past bad grades. You've got the best "second-chance" that one could hope for. Just make the most of it and you'll make it!

monaarts

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
Calm down. Having a GED will have no negative impact on your medical school application. It might actually help you since you'll have a couple of years (and life experience) on your peers when applying and something a little different about you.

A GPA of 3.4 in your early years can EASILY be overcome to bring it up to par. Just make sure you learn how to study and study a little bit, very often. Keep your grades up (especially the sciences) and do well on the MCAT. You'll be a shoe-in if you can demonstrate the passion and desire for medicine.

Trust me, it's much better to have entered college later without a string of bad college grades and to do well academically than it is to re-enter college later and try to make-up for past bad grades. You've got the best "second-chance" that one could hope for. Just make the most of it and you'll make it!

Awesome! I tried a few different things between high school and now but had no satisfaction in any one of them... The feeling of being important in someone else's life is what was lacking. I want that satisfaction of knowing that I made a difference in someone's life in a way that not many other people can do! I think the job would be great, regardless of the long hours and hectic training. I surely hope I can benefit from the GED thing, that is an excellent way to think of it I suppose! Thank you very much LifetimeDoc!

-Joe

About the Ads

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I actually know a few people that got into college without a GED or HS degree. I am unsure of how, but I think they had to take a different test instead of the GED, one that the college offered or something.

Anjlprincezz

10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You might have to study a little harder, especially with the sciences, and kick-butt on the MCAT, but I'm sure if you can pull decent stats, med schools will recognize the effort you put in to rebuild your life, something that's much more difficult once you've been out of school for a while.. if you can continue to show your dedication to medicine, you'll do great! good luck!! :luck:

coffeebythelake

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
why would the BCPM GPA and overall GPA be so close to each other numerically? isn't that usually not the case?
That was my interpretation of what the numbers meant, whether it is correct or not I don't know.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hello everyone,
I have been thinking for a while now about going to college to be a doctor, most likely a surgeon of some type. The only problem is that I am doubtful that I will be able to get into a decent Med School and residency when those times come.

Why? Well, at the age of 17 (almost 5 years ago) I dropped out of High School because of some family problems. I had the original intentions of getting a GED right away and start college part-time soon after. But that never happened.

I got my GED a little over a year ago and I started taking some classes at a local community college right outside of Atlanta, GA. I did EXTREMELY well on my GED and have been kicking butt for the most part in college, my GPA after 1 summer semester and 1 fall semester is 3.40 or so. (English 1 - A; English 2 - A; Communications - B; Health - C)....

Now the problem.... I am afraid that because I have a GED and my GPA isn't like a 4.0 that I will not be able to get into a good med school or residency program. Should I possibly waste my time and take the VERY LITTLE chance I have getting into a Med school, do you think I have a good chance, or do you think that I should just all together give up the hopes of becoming a surgeon?

-Joe

You need to take these things one step at a time. Nothing you have listed suggests you will never get into med school, but it may take you longer than some because, based on your start, you have more to prove. It probably would benefit you to transfer to a non-community college at some point -- a 3.4 in a local community college might not wow a lot of schools. Certainly no point even thinking about residency programs at this juncture.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Hello everyone,

-Joe

First, the GED has no bearing on you application.

Second, you've only taken a few classes in college. Here's the eye opener: You got a C in Health and in my experience that is one of the easiest classes one can take. I'm not saying that is going to ruin your chances (it certainly won't and I'd be a liar if I told you it will), but realize that you have many pre-requisites to take.

You didn't mention if you have taken any bio/chem/math/physics. These four classes are the ones included in your science GPA, and you want to make sure you try to get as many A's as possible, B's only if necessary, and avoid any C's or below.

Also, and like someone else said, a "good" GPA in the normal world isn't necessarily good for medical school. While a 3.4 is okay, the average for medical schools is closer to a 3.6-3.7 and you want to always aim for higher than the average as safety. The good thing is you have barely started college so you have plenty of time to raise your GPA.

Also, you should probably visit amcas.org and get an idea of the requirements and the application. It'll give you a better idea of what you're in for. Don't be like the people who are "pre-med" yet act surprised when they find out in their junior year that they have to write an essay and go on interviews.

And you should try your hardest to kick butt on the MCAT. I do not recommend spending the money on a prep-course unless you are swimming in money. You can study on your own with some self-discipline. It's the amount of time practicing and studying that makes the difference. Buy the books, and practice, practice, practice.

Also, make an appointment w/ your pre-med counselor (if your school has one) and have him make a plan of sorts. If you are smart yourself, you can take your class catalog and make the plan yourself, because sometimes counselors are good for nothing, as some people may agree.

Finally I have a question: Are you planning on transferring to a 4-year college later on? Just curious.

Nomemory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I actually know a few people that got into college without a GED or HS degree. I am unsure of how, but I think they had to take a different test instead of the GED, one that the college offered or something.

If you go to community college and earn enough units to transfer you can then transfer to a university....at least in CA. I don't have a GED or high school equivalency (dropped out in the ninth grade) and after I did my three years (remedial work included) at a community college I was accepted to both of the UCs to which I applied (i.e., UCLA and UCI). I don't know how it is in other states but I know that in CA if you do your time at a JC then you're eligible for transfer.

I don't know how to quote two different people in one response so....
ryanl see above. :)

DreamyKid those gpa's were from the MSAR for three medical schools in Georgia (GA)...Overall GPA Median/Science GPA Median.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.