What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenny2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my PCAT score yesterday.
verbal 382(20) :scared: horrible!!
BIO 430 (88)
RC 408(58)
QA 430 (85)
Chem 429(84)
COmposite 416 (74)

Writing 2/2

My GPA is 3.5 and sGPA is 3.4
I want to know if I have any chances this year to get any schools.
English is not my native language. so even I take PCAT again in Jan I don't think I can improve very much on verbal session
I applied

Temple
Thomas Jefferson
UB
LECOM

What do you guys think?
What should I do?
do I have any chances?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You did well in the science sections which are more important. And you're not a native English speaker so I'm sure they'll take that into account. I think your chances are good, but take the January PCAT and do the best you can on the verbal. Good luck.

For UB, no you do not have a chance because your verbal is below 50. I called them a few months ago, and that was what they told me.
so u mean they told u that they do not accept anyone below 50 in verbal and reading?

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them and received replies from two people.
My email: Is there minimum requirement for verbal and reading comprehension sub-sections of PCAT? I heard it is 50th percentile in verbal and reading comprehension. Is it true? Thank you.

We don't require a minimum PCAT score. We look at about a 300 total. The
middle 50th percentile sum of the PCAT percentile score of students
recently admitted was 360-434. UB SoPPS considers the Percentile Rank
(not Scaled Scores). The sum of each item under the Percentile Rank
(Verbal Ability, Biology, Reading Comprehension, Quantitative Ability,
and Chemistry) determines the score (not the Composite score).
Thanks for your interest in UB.

UB SoPPS does not have a minimum Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT)
requirement however, competitive applicants typically present a
percentage of at least 300. The middle 50th percentile sum of the PCAT percentile score of students

I got my PCAT score yesterday.
verbal 382(20) :scared: horrible!!
BIO 430 (88)
RC 408(58)
QA 430 (85)
Chem 429(84)
COmposite 416 (74)

Writing 2/2

My GPA is 3.5 and sGPA is 3.4
I want to know if I have any chances this year to get any schools.
English is not my native language. so even I take PCAT again in Jan I don't think I can improve very much on verbal session
I applied

Temple
Thomas Jefferson
UB
LECOM

What do you guys think?
What should I do?
do I have any chances?

Thanks

Retake it. Study, study, study and improve your verbal, reading comprehension, and writing. Practice the essays.

No matter what anyone else tells you, those items are important, and moreso each year, with the greater emphasis on patient communication.

A 20 likely won't get you in anywhere....sorry :( But, a school may take into consideration an improvement to even a 50 or a 60 (even though still not incredibly high).

Good luck :thumbup:

Before you retake it if that is what you decide to do, try to figure out why you got that score in verbal? Is it because you just don't have the vocabulary to do well or is it because you don't know the relationships in the analogies and can't spot the signal words in sentence completions?

If it is the latter, then that is an easy fix that should get you extra points without a lot of studying. I used to be a SAT tutor and I remember that there are only a handful of relationships in analogies and the harder the vocab, the easier they become. For sentence completions, you look for the signal words like but, in spite of, additionally which tells you what kind of word you are looking to put in. Practice enough problems and it becomes easy.

If your problem is vocab, then that is going to take brute force memorization. Get some vocab lists and go for it. Or you can try reading lots and looking up every word you don't know. You can improve a lot by doing this but it will be slow going.

I got interview from UB and LECOM-erie. I asked them if I need to retake they said it won't make any difference to my admission since they are fine with my pcat score.!! I am very confused now... someone told me I need to retake it. but I am also worried i may get lower score than that what I've got. It won't be good to my application. I havn't start study for Jan Test yet.
Should I just practice interview more or study pcat?
What is better?

Thanks in advance!!

I got interview from UB and LECOM-erie. I asked them if I need to retake they said it won't make any difference to my admission since they are fine with my pcat score.!! I am very confused now... someone told me I need to retake it. but I am also worried i may get lower score than that what I've got. It won't be good to my application. I havn't start study for Jan Test yet.
Should I just practice interview more or study pcat?
What is better?

Thanks in advance!!

I might wait to see if you get accepted before you retake. You can always take it in the summer if you don't get in. Right now you should concentrate on what is going to get you in this year and that is a great interview. Good luck.

Are you already signed up for the January test?

yeah~~ I signed up aleady. but I don't really care about the money $125

My interview is 1/27 and 2/13. should I prepare interview instead of study pcat?

I emailed them and received replies from two people.
My email: Is there minimum requirement for verbal and reading comprehension sub-sections of PCAT? I heard it is 50th percentile in verbal and reading comprehension. Is it true? Thank you.

We don't require a minimum PCAT score. We look at about a 300 total. The
middle 50th percentile sum of the PCAT percentile score of students
Thanks for your interest in UB.

UB SoPPS does not have a minimum Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT)
requirement however, competitive applicants typically present a
percentage of at least 300. The middle 50th percentile sum of the PCAT percentile score of students

That was exactly what they told me. However, when i asked I had verbal section below 50, she told me to retake it.

yeah~~ I signed up aleady. but I don't really care about the money $125

My interview is 1/27 and 2/13. should I prepare interview instead of study pcat?
Re-take the PCAT since you signed up already. You can prepare for the interview since that's not going to take up all your time, is it?