what does a supportive letter mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naixin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked one of my reference letter writer whether he can avoid mentioning my shortcomings. He said I am not supposed to know the content of the letter and he wrote a supportive letter for me. What does this mean? Maybe it isn't a strong letter, but will it hurt my chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds pretty mediocre to me. I'd probably skip it for one of my outstanding letters...

I asked one of my reference letter writer whether he can avoid mentioning my shortcomings. He said I am not supposed to know the content of the letter and he wrote a supportive letter for me. What does this mean? Maybe it isn't a strong letter, but will it hurt my chance?

What shortcomings? In the future, ask for "a strong LOR". And don't use this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
He is my phd advisor. So it will be a red flag if I do not have his letter.

supportive letter
Sounds to me like it means just what he said. He wrote a letter in support of your candidacy for medical school: one that mentions your strengths more than your weaknesses (if it mentions your weaknesses at all).
I asked one of my reference letter writer whether he can avoid mentioning my shortcomings
Definitely don't do this. It sounds like you are telling them what to write. Think about it: you are, in a way, trying to influence the recommendation with this statement, aren't you? That's a big no no. Just ask your potential rec writers if they would be able to write strong letter for you. If you know them well, chances are they will say yes. They may say no. I highly doubt that they would lie and then write you a negative letter. I have heard of people declining to write recommendation letters, but I have never heard of someone intentionally writing a bad letter.

Thank you. I asked him earlier on whether he could write me a positive letter. He said yes. He is my phd advisor, he knows my strength and weakness very well.
My question is that if he mentions my weakness (actually I think its the weakness in his eyes, not necessarily real weakness, for example, he will think I'm not communcating well with him, but the fact is that mos people in the lab cannot communicate well with him) and even says that I improved over the years, will than hurt my chance?

Sounds to me like it means just what he said. He wrote a letter in support of your candidacy for medical school: one that mentions your strengths more than your weaknesses (if it mentions your weaknesses at all). Definitely don't do this. It sounds like you are telling them what to write. Think about it: you are, in a way, trying to influence the recommendation with this statement, aren't you? That's a big no no. Just ask your potential rec writers if they would be able to write strong letter for you. If you know them well, chances are they will say yes. They may say no. I highly doubt that they would lie and then write you a negative letter. I have heard of people declining to write recommendation letters, but I have never heard of someone intentionally writing a bad letter.

Thank you. I asked him earlier on whether he could write me a positive letter. He said yes. He is my phd advisor, he knows my strength and weakness very well.
My question is that if he mentions my weakness (actually I think its the weakness in his eyes, not necessarily real weakness, for example, he will think I'm not communcating well with him, but the fact is that mos people in the lab cannot communicate well with him) and even says that I improved over the years, will than hurt my chance?

If he said he would write a supportive letter, I don't think he'll highlight your weaknesses in your LOR. Even if he did mention your weaknesses, I'm guessing he would most likely do it in the context of improvement. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It would be even more of a red flag if you didn't get an LOR from your PhD/research adviser imo.

If he said he would write a supportive letter, I don't think he'll highlight your weaknesses in your LOR. Even if he did mention your weaknesses, I'm guessing he would most likely do it in the context of improvement. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It would be even more of a red flag if you didn't get an LOR from your PhD/research adviser imo.

This. It's not uncommon for rec letters to touch upon weaknesses in this context actually. It provides are more well-rounded view of the applicant, and makes the letter all the more realistic. Don't worry about it.