What does an optometrist really do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

euphaire

Blank
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
:)
I've been very interested in the career of an OD. But I don't think I really know what OD does. I read some information on wikipedia and optometry school websites, but I'd really like to hear from actual optometry students/graduates like you guys.

Previously, I thought ODs are essentially doctors that specialize in eye-related problems. They probably have their own clinics much like dentists.

But recently, I found out that a lot of ODs work in eyecare/glasses industry instead of at clinics or hospitals like all the other doctors I know of. So now, I'm not really sure what an OD really does. Do ODs get to treat diseases like any other doctor, or ODs are usually responsible for prescribing glasses and providing eye examination? I'm unsure because there is also a profession called ophthalmologist. So, do optometrists really treat patients (eye diseases, etc) or are mostly responsible for testing eyesight?

Thanks in advance!

Lily

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I've been very interested in the career of an OD. But I don't think I really know what OD does. I read some information on wikipedia and optometry school websites, but I'd really like to hear from actual optometry students/graduates like you guys.

Previously, I thought ODs are essentially doctors that specialize in eye-related problems. They probably have their own clinics much like dentists.

But recently, I found out that a lot of ODs work in eyecare/glasses industry instead of at clinics or hospitals like all the other doctors I know of. So now, I'm not really sure what an OD really does. Do ODs get to treat diseases like any other doctor, or ODs are usually responsible for prescribing glasses and providing eye examination? I'm unsure because there is also a profession called ophthalmologist. So, do optometrists really treat patients (eye diseases, etc) or are mostly responsible for testing eyesight?

Thanks in advance!

Lily

Lily,

I say this respectfully.....you obviously have no clue. I'm guessing you don't wear glasses or contact lenses.

The best advice I can give you is to start by going and getting an actual "eye exam" from an optometrist. Then try spending a day or two in a optometrist's office.

You'll have a much better frame of reference to ask questions then.

I don't understand how you can say you've been "very interested in a career as an OD" and not have at least a rudimentary understanding of what an OD is or does.

So start with an eye exam for yourself and then spend a day or two in an optometrists office.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Lily

Judging by what you wrote, I do not think Optometry is a good career option for you. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Lily

that is a legitimate question, and a common source of confusion for many people, and frankly many explanations will not be easily understood by most people. To answer your specific questions:

Do ODs get to treat diseases like any other doctor? Yes

Are ODs usually responsible for prescribing glasses and providing eye examination? Yes

Do ODs own their own clinics or work in hospitals? yes

Do ODs work in retail opticals? yes

Do ODs treat patients (eye disease, etc)? yes

Do ODs specialize in eye-related problems? yes

Do ODs test "eyesight"? yes

As for Ophthalmology, ODs will often refer to a special surgeon for a given classification of eye disease. Example, if the patient requires retinal surgery, we will refer to a retinal surgeon. If they require glaucoma surgery, then we refer to a glaucoma surgeon, etc.

Lily,
The best advice I can give you is to start by going and getting an actual "eye exam" from an optometrist. Then try spending a day or two in a optometrist's office.

Just work as a school or PCP's RN or at the DMV. Most people think those are places they or their children last got an "eye exam."

Well, maybe in 10 years when the GTL generation comes in with cataracts at age 40, that might change.

Thank you, PBEA.
I will job shadow with an optometrist to see for myself what the profession is really like. I couldn't do that yet because I'm working in Singapore this summer. Your answers are very helpful.

Lily

I think im on the wrong board
Im a optician tech

Is this the right place?

seriously