what does highest composite mcat score mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

If a student has sat for the exam multiple times, the SOM takes the highest sub-section scores of each exam and uses that?

Or, the SOMjust looks at the highest MCAT score on date? thx

Members don't see this ad.

Highest score during one sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
"composite" refers to the composite CARS + BBS + C/P + PS score. I dont know of medical schools that "super score" (the practice of adding up the highest scoring sections from multiple sittings) but it is possible some are out there.
Vandy and MCW super-score..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are evaluated by the highest composite score, they only consider the highest score from among multiple sittings and don't look at individual subscores. Historically, SIU, Commonwealth Pa, and EVMS did this. And FIU, Oakland, Colorado, and UKMC primarily considered composite scores and had no minimum subscore. Who knows what's true for these schools now? Things change.

Reactions: 1 users

Vandy, MCW.

If you are evaluated by the highest composite score, they only consider the highest score from among multiple sittings and don't look at individual subscores. Historically, SIU, Commonwealth Pa, and EVMS did this. And FIU, Oakland, Colorado, and UKMC primarily considered composite scores and had no minimum subscore. Who knows what's true for these schools now? Things change.

Thank you everyone :)

High MCAT score = student mastered the MCAT material and did well in this standardized test. This student is likely to succeed in the exam-oriented med school curriculum.

It gives the most honest (and brutal) indication of how you compare with all other candidates, academically speaking.

Nope. Highest of the multiple subsections. Let's say one had

125/127/129/128

then 127/126/127/130

The composite score will be:

127/127/129/130

Gawd, my brain is absolutely failing. Gonnif is correct, and so was Ampharos. The sole surviving neuron in my long term memory fired "superscore" and it ended up on the keyboard as the incorrect answer above.

Neuro consult, please!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nope. Highest of the multiple subsections. Let's say one had

125/127/129/128

then 127/126/127/130

The composite score will be:

127/127/129/130

Gawd, my brain is absolutely failing. Gonnif is correct, and so was Ampharos. The sole surviving neuron in my long term memory fired "superscore" and it ended up on the keyboard as the incorrect answer above.

Neuro consult, please!!!!
Darn, I don't think we have any "ask a neurologist" threads, so that consult ain't gonna come for awhile.

Unless.

Its marked "pending discharge"
:p

I know this thread has been inactive for a while now, but I have scoured the web and found conflicting opinions regarding Tufts official multiple MCAT policy. Their website states "Many applicants to TUSM apply with more than one set of MCAT scores. Our policy is to consider all MCAT scores (taken within the approved time period preceding enrollment) and note the highest MCAT total." I am curious as if this means highest COMPOSITE total or highest COMPONENT total. If anyone actually know the answer to this question I would love to hear from you.

I know this thread has been inactive for a while now, but I have scoured the web and found conflicting opinions regarding Tufts official multiple MCAT policy. Their website states "Many applicants to TUSM apply with more than one set of MCAT scores. Our policy is to consider all MCAT scores (taken within the approved time period preceding enrollment) and note the highest MCAT total." I am curious as if this means highest COMPOSITE total or highest COMPONENT total. If anyone actually know the answer to this question I would love to hear from you.

Your best single-exam performance.