PhD/PsyD What does it mean if a POI says this:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katypical

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs and recently emailed several professors I'd be interested in working with to check whether they were accepting students for Fall 2019. Most of them responded with some variation of "Yes, I am accepting a student for next year!" but one responded with the statement "I will be reviewing." That was all her email said, and I don't want to bother her and ask for clarification but I don't know what that means! Does she mean that she will be reviewing applications of students that want to work with her and is planning to take a student? Or by "reviewing," does she mean she's still deciding whether to add another student to her lab?

I'm probably over-thinking this but I just want to make sure she's definitely considering mentoring another student before I write my personal statement about how much I want to work with her. If anyone knows what this professor means by "I will be reviewing" please let me know and thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

It most likely means they are taking a student if they like what they see- the same as the other means technically. I plan to take students, for instance, but I'm not obligated to do so. If I don't like what I see on paper or in person, I may opt not to. I just tend to say I'm taking a student

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, what Justanothergrad said: I would interpret that as meaning that there is at least the possibility for this person to accept students. Good luck!