What does it mean to be waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pressforward

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been viewing predents.com and am unsure why schools place prospective students in this status.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Because there is a hierarchical ladder of qualification in a very competitive profession? I don't understand what's so difficult about the concept of waitlisting. Please, explain what you are not understanding.

Ive been viewing predents.com and am unsure why schools place prospective students in this status.

thanks!

To put it bluntly, waitlisted students are the "backups."

That being said, I wouldn't take it personally. I just treated it like business and go to a place that I like and which also wants me. Whether that's through the waitlist is not important in the long haul.

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey being a backup is better than being crap on a log

Posted via Mobile Device

Hey being a backup is better than being crap on a log

Oddly enough, that describes my dating life in college pretty well.

thanks!
Applicants apply to many different schools and some will be accepted to several of these. Therefore, dental schools need to have a list of individuals, who have already interviewed, to select from when someone decides to decline to go to another school or decides not to go to dental school at all. This can happen right up until school starts.
Hope this helps.

Hey I was just wondering if you are put on the waitlist do you know where you stand on the list ... like how close you are to getting to having an actual seat?

Hey I was just wondering if you are put on the waitlist do you know where you stand on the list ... like how close you are to getting to having an actual seat?

I don't think there is a place to look online or anything, but if you call the specific school, they may give you an idea of where you are on the list. But that depends on the school, person answering the phone, etc.

I know that Indiana ranks the alternate list. I was #10 on December 1st and got accepted off the list in March.