What does it truly take to score a 22+ on the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarsdale92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a question that is entirely individualistic but I'm just super overwhelmed by all the information I have to memorize and conceptually understand.

Starting tonight, I will be following Ari's 10 week study plan and taking my exam around mid-April.

I have the following resources:
1. DAT Bootcamp
2. DAT Destroyer
3. Math Destroyer
4. Printed out Feralis Notes
5. Chad Videos - Coursesaver

I need your help guys. How can someone with average intelligence score a 22+ on the DAT? To put into perspective: I'm the kind of guy that has to work 10x harder than the next guy for an A. I'm certain there's at lease a few of you folks that can relate.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is a question that is entirely individualistic but I'm just super overwhelmed by all the information I have to memorize and conceptually understand.

Starting tonight, I will be following Ari's 10 week study plan and taking my exam around mid-April.

1. DAT Bootcamp
2. DAT Destroyer
3. Math Destroyer

I need your help guys. How can someone with average intelligence score a 22+ on the DAT? To put into perspective: I'm the kind of guy that has to work 10x harder than the next guy for an A. I'm certain there's at lease a few of you folks that can relate.

Thanks for reading!
Wow same. Looking for some opinions/help.

I scored exactly a 22 AA and if you're looking for the benchmark for your goal, I can give you my perspective. I took this exam on Martin Luther King Day, the day before the start of this spring semester. My classes were finished on the second week of December, 15th to be exact, and my plan was delayed for about half a week. One of my close friends graduated and his lease ended which meant that he needed to stay at my apartment for a couple of days before he takes his flight overseas. Prior of the break, I spent the Thanksgiving week studying the Kaplan DAT prep book and completed the Biology and General Chemistry portion.
Nevertheless, I knew that the three and a half weeks would be very grueling in which I studied for at least 10 hours/day on weekdays and around 5 hours/day on weekends. I finished the remaining sections of the Kaplan textbook and tried a few websites that can help me study for this material. I was pondering between Crack DAT and DAT Bootcamp, but once I found this website......there was an overwhelming amount of people who recommended the Bootcamp so I bought the subscription. I'm gonna say that this is the best decision in studying for this exam. When I began taking some of the section tests, I noticed that my weaknesses were generally in Organic Chemistry, Biology, and Reading. For Reading, Ari suggested to pick a method whether it may be search and destroy, question mapping, or BYU4U just to name a few and stick with the one that felt the most comfortable; I chose question mapping. Also, I read about 1-2 articles from Scientific American on a daily basis. For Organic Chemistry, I went over all of the Chad's videos and one of my friend to took Organic Chemistry had some good notes so I was able to borrow them for the winter break. For Biology, I focused on my weak areas which will be displayed after you finish the section which almost always landed on taxonomy and developmental biology, which I reviewed on some website I googled, but once I found the Feralis notes.....it became my holy grail for that section. I read this 2-3X and can't say how much it has helped me in that section.
Although I didn't buy DAT Destroyers, I realized that it was by mistake after reading this forum but I would highly recommend using it, even though I don't know what it contains. In terms of intelligence, I don't really think that I'm intelligent but rather hard working. I saw my score as a reflection of the countless hours I spent in the library while my friends were enjoying their break because I saw dentistry as my future career. I had the passion to do everything that I can to ensure that my goal is met and put a curtain around all the distractions. Plug in your headphones, pop open that Spotify playlist of Lofi Hip Hop and enjoy your studying!

Reactions: 2 users
I would say I am of average intelligence and got a 24 AA and 26 TS by using all of the resources you listed. You have to put your mind to it and put in the work. It's gonna suck when you're studying while all of your friends are going out, but you'll realize it's all worth it when you get your scores back! All of my friends were making fun of me I was studying so much but really that's what it takes. Once you get to there point where you've studied so much you just want to have the test over with, you're probably ready.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got everything you mentioned and this is very simple.
The 2009 ADA test, you'll need. However, you decide to get it that's entirely up to you. I liked Chad quizzes because they were good practice, and I never got logged out. Feralis notes are free and some people find them useful.

Reactions: 1 user

1. DAT Bootcamp
2. DAT Destroyer
3. Math Destroyer

Thanks for reading!

I really think this posts speaks to me. I got a 22AA and a 23 TS. Individual scores
Bio 22 GC 22 OC 27 QR 18 RC 22 PAT 19
I consider myself very average, intelligence wise. I maintained a 4.0 through college but I did it strategically. I took my hard classes like histology and organic when I had relatively easy classes. In high school I graduated like 60/250 and had an SAT of 1600/ 2400 so nothing special. I see my peers study 1/3 of the time I do and do almost as well. Trust me I’m not a genius. The DAT is overwhelming, I agree. You really have to know what it is you’re good at and what it is you suck at. For me, I was very good at OC from undergrad, parts of bio, and RC. Those are just sections I felt fairly confident on from the get go. However, I had never had a A and P class before. Physiology was a foreign language. I HIGHLY recommend you go through cliffs once. Figure out which chapters you feel overwhelmed by. For me it was plants, taxonomy, and all the anatomy chapters. Once you figure this out your doing well. Study what you DONT KNOW! Go through chads or mikes videos and review chem. Work through the practice problems and go through destroyer. You won’t have but 1 or 2 problems that are really hard like you’ll find in destroyer on the real exam. It is over kill but that’s what you want. You want something to overprepare you because being over prepared is what gets you that good score. For RC it’s up to you. I felt that the exam was easy. I’ve never been very strong at reading a passage and answering a question in a timed setting, hence low SAT score. For me search and destroy was a good method but it really is up to each person. Its not a section you should worry very much about but staying focused is key! When you get to this section treat it like your life depends on it! FOCUS!! For PAT BC is all you need. Just practice and you’ll be fine. Getting a 18+ is really all you need. This section seems to just be a threshold section. By that I mean schools just want to know you don’t suck at it. For QR, well I got screwed, I got and 18 because I lost 5 minutes and had to guess on 4 problems because the lady in the prometric station was talking to her friend instead of checking me back into my test (still salty). That being said I think I could’ve achieved a 20. Math destroyer is really all you need. My QR really wasn’t that bad. A good mix between easy and medium questions. The big key to this test is knowing what you’re good at and studying what you’re bad at. Go through each section and develop a strategy that fits you! A 22 is very achievable. One last tip, Feralis notes, although really good, is wayyy to in depth. Try Alan’s notes. Way shorter and covers the same material but instead of lots of detail it gives you those high yield facts like you’ll actually see on test day. You can get those little facts from destroyer. To summarize what I think is the most efficient method
Bio: cliffs AP bio (read twice) Alan’s notes (read every day for 2-3 weeks) DAT destroyer 2-3 times
GC: chads videos 1-2 times and DAT destroyer 1-2 times
OC: same as GC
PAT: practice 25 minutes daily
RC: as you see fit (never actually studied for it)
QR: just understand math destroyer and BC QR tests

You can do this. The test is all about breadth. Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
I really think this posts speaks to me. I got a 22AA and a 23 TS. Individual scores
Bio 22 GC 22 OC 27 QR 18 RC 22 PAT 19
I consider myself very average, intelligence wise. I maintained a 4.0 through college but I did it strategically. I took my hard classes like histology and organic when I had relatively easy classes. In high school I graduated like 60/250 and had an SAT of 1600/ 2400 so nothing special. I see my peers study 1/3 of the time I do and do almost as well. Trust me I’m not a genius. The DAT is overwhelming, I agree. You really have to know what it is you’re good at and what it is you suck at. For me, I was very good at OC from undergrad, parts of bio, and RC. Those are just sections I felt fairly confident on from the get go. However, I had never had a A and P class before. Physiology was a foreign language. I HIGHLY recommend you go through cliffs once. Figure out which chapters you feel overwhelmed by. For me it was plants, taxonomy, and all the anatomy chapters. Once you figure this out your doing well. Study what you DONT KNOW! Go through chads or mikes videos and review chem. Work through the practice problems and go through destroyer. You won’t have but 1 or 2 problems that are really hard like you’ll find in destroyer on the real exam. It is over kill but that’s what you want. You want something to overprepare you because being over prepared is what gets you that good score. For RC it’s up to you. I felt that the exam was easy. I’ve never been very strong at reading a passage and answering a question in a timed setting, hence low SAT score. For me search and destroy was a good method but it really is up to each person. Its not a section you should worry very much about but staying focused is key! When you get to this section treat it like your life depends on it! FOCUS!! For PAT BC is all you need. Just practice and you’ll be fine. Getting a 18+ is really all you need. This section seems to just be a threshold section. By that I mean schools just want to know you don’t suck at it. For QR, well I got screwed, I got and 18 because I lost 5 minutes and had to guess on 4 problems because the lady in the prometric station was talking to her friend instead of checking me back into my test (still salty). That being said I think I could’ve achieved a 20. Math destroyer is really all you need. My QR really wasn’t that bad. A good mix between easy and medium questions. The big key to this test is knowing what you’re good at and studying what you’re bad at. Go through each section and develop a strategy that fits you! A 22 is very achievable. One last tip, Feralis notes, although really good, is wayyy to in depth. Try Alan’s notes. Way shorter and covers the same material but instead of lots of detail it gives you those high yield facts like you’ll actually see on test day. You can get those little facts from destroyer. To summarize what I think is the most efficient method
Bio: cliffs AP bio (read twice) Alan’s notes (read every day for 2-3 weeks) DAT destroyer 2-3 times
GC: chads videos 1-2 times and DAT destroyer 1-2 times
OC: same as GC
PAT: practice 25 minutes daily
RC: as you see fit (never actually studied for it)
QR: just understand math destroyer and BC QR tests

You can do this. The test is all about breadth. Good luck!!
do you mind sending me Alan's notes? I can't find them anywhere

I think the whole "average intelligence" thing is a little overrated, I have a very average (but improving) GPA and I scored a 24AA and 25TS. It's really more about how much work you're willing to put in! The resources you have listed are really good, I would also suggest throwing in a DATQvault subscription for the extra practice for the science sections as well. You are capable of getting the score you want, you just have to put in the time. Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to message me!

I used DAT Bootcamp, DAT/Math Destroyer, Organic Chemistry Odyssey and DATQvault

Reactions: 1 users