What does license eligible mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Childdoconeday

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to change jobs. I am a licensed psychologist in state A, but see an appealing job is available in state B. On the company's website, it says, "the applicant must be licensed in state B or license eligible" what does that mean?

Can i work in state B although i am licensed in state A?

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to change jobs. I am a licensed psychologist in state A, but see an appealing job is available in state B. On the company's website, it says, "the applicant must be licensed in state B or license eligible" what does that mean?

Can i work in state B although i am licensed in state A?

It means that you must meet the license requirements of that state. As in, some states will license individuals from unaccredited programs, many will not, though. And no, you can not work in state B without a license in that state.

It means that you must meet the license requirements of that state. As in, some states will license individuals from unaccredited programs, many will not, though. And no, you can not work in state B without a license in that state.

got it. so by the time i apply i should be licensed in state B. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
got it. so by the time i apply i should be licensed in state B. Thanks for your help.

By the time you apply, you should have made sure that you meet the requirements, ideally have turned in the application if you are pretty sure you want to go to state B. It will take months for you to get credentialed/paneled anyway after accepting a job offer, so you'll have plenty of time to move through the process.

you can not work in state B without a license in that state.

*independently (I know you know that, but it seems like the poster didn't--I that that was what made the OP think to be licensed by the time of application). If I see "license-eligible" I think "supervised until license is obtained" but I'd suggest OP makes sure it is clear what kind of support there is to get licensed.

*independently (I know you know that, but it seems like the poster didn't--I that that was what made the OP think to be licensed by the time of application). If I see "license-eligible" I think "supervised until license is obtained" but I'd suggest OP makes sure it is clear what kind of support there is to get licensed.

When we say licensed eligible it means we expect them to be licensed within the 6 month grace period given in CA for someone who is already licensed in another state. It doesn’t automatically mean we plan on supervising until licensed.

Reactions: 1 user
When we say licensed eligible it means we expect them to be licensed within the 6 month grace period given in CA for someone who is already licensed in another state. It doesn’t automatically mean we plan on supervising until licensed.
This is what I've always read it to mean as well.