What DOES matter in the psych application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittBoo50

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many say that psychiatry isn't a numbers game...But what do the programs look for? Clinical experience? Research publications? Good Personal Statements that express long standing interest?

And I've heard in previous posts, that some programs have Step score cutoffs like Upenn and the harvard programs...Is this true?

I guess i'm feeling anxious...I've heard how many applicants are getting interviews and I have only heard from 1/11 schools. I want to feel confident that I have a "strength", but at this point, i'm not sure what is considered a strength in this field.

Members don't see this ad.

your photo

Many say that psychiatry isn't a numbers game...But what do the programs look for? Clinical experience? Research publications? Good Personal Statements that express long standing interest?

And I've heard in previous posts, that some programs have Step score cutoffs like Upenn and the harvard programs...Is this true?

I guess i'm feeling anxious...I've heard how many applicants are getting interviews and I have only heard from 1/11 schools. I want to feel confident that I have a "strength", but at this point, i'm not sure what is considered a strength in this field.

i don't know the answer to your question. but for me, i think that my LOR and personal statement made a huge impact on the interviews I have received so far. They reveal a lot about the type of person you are while your grades and step scores are more of a reflection of your studying efficiency and test taking skills. Don't be discouraged. It's still early in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get discouraged. Programs really vary in how they offer interviews. Many are eager to schedule applicants immediately after ERAS opens while others wait for the full application (LORS, etc) to be uploaded.

Most programs I have been familiar with are most interested in well rounded, motivated people. Of course good scores and academic standing are important, however not exclusively. Yes, some programs have "cut-offs" in regards to USMLE/COMLEX scores, though this varies widely and I cannot give you specifics I am aware of.

Different programs may place a different emphasis on what is important, and I doubt there is anything specific that can be targeted to help in a general way. However, some people often personalize their personal statement for each program they are applying to. This way, you can demonstrate how you might fit in well with their program and system.

Everyone you ask will give a different answer. For sure, some of the larger, nose-in-the-air type programs (like Cornell, Columbia, Mass General, Yale, UPenn) are into numbers for no other reason than because they can. They need to keep up appearances and publish the fact that even in their Psych residency the average USMLE step 1 score was 240. Im not sure where you're applying or what your number 1 choice is, but I will say that it's my personal belief that everything happens for a reason and most people end up where they fit best. Columbia and Cornell have horrible reputations for being very arrogant and snotty. If that's what you want in a residency and in colleagues, then by all means have at it. Sure they have great reputations and tremendous faculty, but in my book that's a major drawback.

Apologize for the rant, but to answer your question it seems that most (and even some of the larger, more well known programs) do look at your LOR's, personal statement, and such. It just seems that for a specialty such as psych you'd want to be looking at more than numbers to choose your residents. Maybe I'm being naive.

But dont worry, it's still very early and the biggies generally dont start reviewing apps until after Nov 1. And there's no method to the madness of ERAS and the association of when your app materials are downloaded and when you get contacted for an interview.

Good luck!

Everyone you ask will give a different answer. For sure, some of the larger, nose-in-the-air type programs (like Cornell, Columbia, Mass General, Yale, UPenn) are into numbers for no other reason than because they can. They need to keep up appearances and publish the fact that even in their Psych residency the average USMLE step 1 score was 240. Im not sure where you're applying or what your number 1 choice is, but I will say that it's my personal belief that everything happens for a reason and most people end up where they fit best.

Just to add my experience so far....My Step 1 score is below the average for PSYCH and I have interviews at UPenn, Pitt, and Hopkins. So, I'm not sure it is all about numbers at some of the so-called "top programs." Haven't heard back from Columbia or Yale, yet. Maybe they won't rank me that high b/c of the low scores, but at least I got interviews! To be honest, I'm not sure I will like any of these programs and there are other interviews that are not at "top programs" that I'm much more excited about...except UPenn, perhaps.;)

Just to add my experience so far....My Step 1 score is below the average for PSYCH and I have interviews at UPenn, Pitt, and Hopkins. So, I'm not sure it is all about numbers at some of the so-called "top programs." Haven't heard back from Columbia or Yale, yet. Maybe they won't rank me that high b/c of the low scores, but at least I got interviews! To be honest, I'm not sure I will like any of these programs and there are other interviews that are not at "top programs" that I'm much more excited about...except UPenn, perhaps.;)

Well congrats. I'm happy to see that you have interviews at such places with a step 1 score as you describe. And of course, there's always room for interpretation, I'm just going by what people who have interviewed already in previous years have told me. A very good rec letter, an eye-catching personal statement, and coming from a well-known med school are all factors as well. I applied to all the popular programs and have interviews at Yale, Tufts, and a few others. Oddly enough, I'm in the same boat as you, waiting on other programs that are very high on my list that aren't in the ivy league or what have you. For me it's all about having a favorable next 4 years. I wouldnt go to a program JUST for the name/reputation. I place a lot of stock in working with people i can get a long with and feed off of in a productive way, and vice versa. Wish you the best of luck!

Also, I dont know of anyone that's heard from Columbia yet. They may be one of the programs that wait till November to get the ball rolling.