What does my future look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs9569

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, here's all of my info and I'm wondering which schools I would have a good shot at on the east coast

I am a junior as bio/athletic training double major at a top university, 3.75 gpa 3.85 science, 31 MCAT (taking again). EMT-CC , worked as an EMT for almost 2 years, worked with athletes at my old high school assisting the athletic trainer there, volunteer every summer teaching kids how to read in poor neighborhoods, worked for my universities football team every semester so far 20 hr/week.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm putting my money on doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake a 31. It's fine. However, you seem to lack clinical experience and that can keep you out. You will need some shadowing too, of multiple specialties and some primary care. As I see it, those are the only shortcomings to your stats.

I think you're in great shape. As an EMT CC, I don't think you need much shadowing experience. I worked as an EMT CC and also as a clinical researcher in an ER, and I think that was plenty of clinical experience. Do you have a physician who you have worked under who could write you a solid LOR? Maybe you might want to do some research--either clinical or lab research. I wouldn't retake the MCAT unless you were scoring 36 or higher on most of your practice tests. Do some research, apply early, and do well in your classes this year. I think you'll do well in the application process :)

Don't retake a 31. It's fine. However, you seem to lack clinical experience and that can keep you out. You will need some shadowing too, of multiple specialties and some primary care. As I see it, those are the only shortcomings to your stats.

Lacking clinical experience??? He has worked two years as an EMT... His patient contact exp. certainly wont keep him out of medical school. however, some shadowing of course is great so that he can actually be in the setting of a physician

I think you're in great shape. As an EMT CC, I don't think you need much shadowing experience. I worked as an EMT CC and also as a clinical researcher in an ER, and I think that was plenty of clinical experience. Do you have a physician who you have worked under who could write you a solid LOR? Maybe you might want to do some research--either clinical or lab research. I wouldn't retake the MCAT unless you were scoring 36 or higher on most of your practice tests. Do some research, apply early, and do well in your classes this year. I think you'll do well in the application process :)

considering he hasn't had the ER experience you had, he should definitely do some shadowing. Working as an EMT (i did this as well) gives you just as much insight to the life of a physician as it does a life of a respiratory therapist or nurse... of course it gives you an idea of what it is like providing care for patients, but i think OP should shadow in order to get a better look at the life of a doc. also, if you have no interest what so ever in doing research, then don't waste your time. i never thought that i'd like research but after getting involved i have grown to like it. However, it will definitely help your app. just my 2 cents. Lastly, an LOR from a doc isn't really necessary. I think it could help you if you have a meaningful relationship with him/her, but i wouldn't recommend getting an LOR from a doc that you've just shadowed a couple of times.

One more thing, i second that there is no need to take the mcat again unless you were averaging much higher on the practices...

Lacking clinical experience??? He has worked two years as an EMT... His patient contact exp. certainly wont keep him out of medical school. however, some shadowing of course is great so that he can actually be in the setting of a physician
Ah. I missed that. Truly sorry OP.