What does PRP activation mean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mraabs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently learned about PRP. I read that before injecting the prepared PRP we need to activate it.
Now, I am wondering:
  • what does PRP activation mean, in other word why PRP needs to be activated?
  • Is it possible to activate PRP using a "Calcium Gluconate + Calcium Lactobionate" solution?
I would appreciate it if some one could answer these questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I have recently learned about PRP. I read that before injecting the prepared PRP we need to activate it.
Now, I am wondering:
  • what does PRP activation mean, in other word why PRP needs to be activated?
  • Is it possible to activate PRP using a "Calcium Gluconate + Calcium Lactobionate" solution?
I would appreciate it if some one could answer these questions.

From a practical viewpoint, PRP activation increases availability of the desired molecules to the treatment site

From a scientific viewpoint, PRP activation results in degranulation of platelets to release growth factors from α-granules and fibrinogen cleavage to initiate matrix formation

Some people use calcium chloride, I prefer calcium gluconate for PRP activation. I don't know what calcium lactobionate is.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks.

I read in the research papers that CaCl2 and Calcium Gloconate are used for PRP activation. However, here I cannot find any single salt CaCl2 or Calcium Gloconate. They are all in combination with other salts. One such combination is "Calcium Gluconate + Calcium Lactobionate". On the label it is mentioned that Calcium Lactobinate is equivalent to elemental Calcium ( I have attached the label here).

For this reason now I am looking for some other ways to activate PRP ... any suggestions? Can I continue and use (Calcium Gluconate + Calcium Lactobionate)?

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 56
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

I read in the research papers that CaCl2 and Calcium Gloconate are used for PRP activation. However, here I cannot find any single salt CaCl2 or Calcium Gloconate. They are all in combination with other salts. One such combination is "Calcium Gluconate + Calcium Lactobionate". On the label it is mentioned that Calcium Lactobinate is equivalent to elemental Calcium ( I have attached the label here).

For this reason now I am looking for some other ways to activate PRP ... any suggestions? Can I continue and use (Calcium Gluconate + Calcium Lactobionate)?

I would check with your medical supply company for the closest alternative. As I mentioned, I am unfamiliar with calcium lactobionate so I cannot provide any input on whether or not it would be a suitable agent to activate PRP

Perhaps you can try asking around your community to see what other dermatologists are doing?

I have asked around ... most they do not activate their PRP and some even don't know what does activation means.
Thanks any way

I'm interested in this as well. I've seen some non derm literature in which they've activated using 10% of CaCl2, 10% of autologous thrombin and combinations of the above two. I've also seen Botropase + 3% CaCl2 in the plastic surgery literature.

I do not understand how the current commercially available PRP kits justify such a high price tag (tubes often $100+ each). I'm sure it is just a matter of time before we start finding much more cost-effective ways to deliver PRP.

I'm interested in this as well. I've seen some non derm literature in which they've activated using 10% of CaCl2, 10% of autologous thrombin and combinations of the above two. I've also seen Botropase + 3% CaCl2 in the plastic surgery literature.

I do not understand how the current commercially available PRP kits justify such a high price tag (tubes often $100+ each). I'm sure it is just a matter of time before we start finding much more cost-effective ways to deliver PRP.

I don't know about other activating agents as I've only used calcium gluconate in the past (some of my coworkers have also had success with calcium chloride as I believe there has been a recent shortage of the gluconate, I haven't done PRP in a while)

I can comment on the kits. I've found them all to be ripoffs. They certainly make preparation a bit easier but I've had good success with PRP injections using simple cheap items that you can purchase from any lab supply store:

Na Citrate specimen tubes (light blue cap)
Calcium Gluconate 10%
Syringes
Syringe connectors
Long needles for drawing (ideally 1.5in)

Even the centrifuge can be more frugally purchased via lab supply stores or eBay rather than going through the commercial kits

Reactions: 1 user