What does the April 15th deadline mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnymoxon

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a dumb question, but I only applied to one school and am still waiting to hear back. I think they have to have the sports filled for the class by april 15th, but I'm not sure. after this date, is everyone required to give a final "yes" or "no" to thieir school of choice and then allow for spots to open up for waitlist applicants?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

According to amcas you have until may 15th (and you can actually request longer for certain reasons) I would assume may 15the because you still may need to hear about financial aid

you have until the 15th to do what exactly? This is how long you are able to hold your acceptance? what if you commit to a school on the 15th, but then another spot opens up for you on someone's waitlist??

Members don't see this ad :)
you can hold multiple acceptances until may 15th. after that, you must release all but one. thereafter, if another school accepts you, you can accept the new offer and drop the old one. bottom line, you can only hold one spot at one school after the 15th. schools may offer you positions until you start matriculating at another school. so until you begin at one school, you can always accept a new offer.

The other 15th date is March 15th (although this year it has been changed to March 29th). That is the date by which all schools must have issued at least the number of acceptances as they have positions at their schools (some of course would have issued more by this date as people withdraw their acceptances).

This is a good date for us as it keeps the admissions committees from moving too slowly. I would assume you will see a flurry of acceptances issued over the next two weeks so that schools do not break their obligation.