what does this mean??

Started by hildaluc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hildaluc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is kind of a ridiculous question so far into the application game, but can someone help clarify some vocab for me?

Intern - what the heck?
Resident - (actually, this is pretty clear already...)
Fellowship - what? When? Where?
 
hildaluc said:
I know this is kind of a ridiculous question so far into the application game, but can someone help clarify some vocab for me?

Intern - what the heck?
Resident - (actually, this is pretty clear already...)
Fellowship - what? When? Where?

Intern= first year of residency
Fellowship= after residency if you plan on specializing outside of general med you usually have to do this- can be 1-6 years
 
Here is some more

Intern=first year of residency
Residency=actual medical training (I.E. not books)
Fellowship=subspeciality training (I.E. nephrology, cardiology, critical care medicine, pediatric anesthesiology, etc, etc.)
Attending=physician who is complete with all his training (this is usually a hospital faculty)