What ECs should I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symmetry11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone guide me to a list of requirements that MD schools require? Basically what boxes do they want filled for your ecs? I have two years before I apply so i'm trying to plan accordingly. also i'm gonna focus on TX schools, so I don't know if they have a different set of expectations.

Members don't see this ad.

You can google everything, lol. Here is the gist...

1) Significant clinical experience
2) Significant non-clinical volunteer experience
3) Research experience (optional but highly recommended)
4) Optional significant OTHER experience (work, athletics, fundraiser, etc), preferably something relevant to leadership as well
5) Shadowing doc
6) 2 Science LOR, 1 Non-science LOR (and 1 DO letter for non Texas DO schools)

Overall, whatever shows qualities about you that are relevant to a doctor's work. Leadership, compassion, resilience, dexterity, etc.

Also have some way to establish ties to Texas.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since you only have 2 years I'll try and give an idea of what are the absolutely most important things you need.

1) Clinical exposure: Hospital volunteering is something many use to cover this. You want patient contact if you do this; not being relegated to cleaning toys or stocking shelves only. Shadowing is nice but it alone won't cover it. Working a job in hospice or in a hospital as say a ER tech will also be things that definitely help your application.
2) Demonstrating altruism: Volunteering in a hospital is nice. But you gotta show more than that. Hospice volunteering is always appreciated. Volunteering for the less fortunate and those in need will reflect very well on you and should be your goal. I know one ADCOM I am family friends who when you ask her what really impresses you doesn't talk about research or anything other fancy. Her answer is those who spend significant time helping out or tutoring kids with disabilities. That's a great example of what I'm getting at. Keep in mind things listed above such as fundraising, teaching as a volunteer, and demonstrating teamwork can all fit under this category as well. There's no one way you need to go about demonstrating altruism.

Without being able to show the top 2 you're application isn't going to go anywhere. There are tons of kids with top stats who get rejected for lack of clinical exposure and there was a video by Ohio State ADCOMs that took a survey that asked "what is one thing if lacking would be means to reject someone"(I'm paraphrasing the question"----Lack of volunteering got about 60% of the votes. Nothing else got more than 17%. To give perspective research which is often cited as a requirement on here got 3% of the votes.

Leadership is definitely something worth noting. It can be shown through on campus involvement and through work in any charities or organizations you volunteer in. Important if you don't have a formal leadership position in the next 2 years is to have a rec letter from one of these groups you volunteer with from one of their supervisors talking about your attributes and how you showed strong leadership and a strong sense of teamwork and being very active.

Notice I left research till just now. For top schools strong research is a de-facto requirement(in many 95% students or so participated in research). But the two things above are definitely more vital if we aren't talking those top schools. In the next 2 years it is possible you won't have enough time to make a significant enough commitment to research any way to produce anything meaningful considering all the other stuff you have to do. If that's the way it goes so be it. I would consider getting involved in clinical research if you do decide you want to get some exposure the next 2 years. The hours are more flexible, there is less of an initial exposure/training time in the beginning to learn everything and know what you are doing, and you can produce results much faster.

Above all else keep your GPA in solid territory and get a good MCAT score. It is 100X better for a variety of reasons to focus on grades while in school and to take a gap year or two to straighten out your EC's than the other way around and going all in on EC's now but doing poorly in school and having to spend time in a post-bac/SMP to try and prove yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's my personal list that I plan to have by the time I apply (also a prospective Texas applicant):

- ~50 hours shadowing primary care doc. I stress primary care over some hot shot orthopaedic (nothing against orthopaedics). But this is Texas, and to maximize your chances, you better show commitment to wanting to help the little guys.
- ~250-300 hours volunteering in small hospital
- Some activity relevant to your field
- Don't worry about significant hours dropped in an EC, worry about how long you spent in an EC
- Research. I have a lot of it. Don't settle for scutwork aka cleaning the lab all day and memorizing what your PI is doing research about. Yes, you have to clean up the lab if you do "real" research, but don't settle for ONLY cleaning the lab.
- If you do research, try to present at a conference, poster, etc. It validates your research to some degree.
- Don't fret about publications. The claims of 1st authorship in Nature or Science are way overblown and PhDs at reputable schools barely or don't even publish in those journals.
- LORs as stated from above.

****Don't think about this as "checking boxes" because you'll get burned in an interview unless you're a really good pre-law candidate in disguise, trust me, they'll be able to see it******

In the next 2 years it is possible you won't have enough time to make a significant enough commitment to research any way to produce anything meaningful considering all the other stuff you have to do. If that's the way it goes so be it

I disagree. It depends on OPs skillset. If all OP has is the knowledge he learned from his bio textbooks, yeah you're right. But, don't count out people with different backgrounds that aren't molecular biology, biochemistry, or microbiology- or at least people with those backgrounds with a supplemented skillset.

If only there weren't 5000 threads devoted to this topic..

If only there weren't 5000 threads devoted to this topic..

So the content doesn't change drastically from year to year, but I think maybe OP is looking for things worded differently, or even recent anecdotes from people that have done things that worked.

I think that's the logic in reposts. To be honest, I can empathize.

I disagree. It depends on OPs skillset. If all OP has is the knowledge he learned from his bio textbooks, yeah you're right. But, don't count out people with different backgrounds that aren't molecular biology, biochemistry, or microbiology- or at least people with those backgrounds with a supplemented skillset.

My point isn't really that. There are just bigger priorities for the next 2 years for someone with no EC's than to try and get wet lab research experience. If someone wants to try it they can but it should not be at the expense of what I listed above and keeping good stats.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, Ronald McDonald House, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Reactions: 1 user
Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, Ronald McDonald House, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Goro, I was especially curious about your second sentence. I am interested in volunteering in a Planned Parenthood. I also understand that adcoms are stratified in terms of personal belief and Planned Parenthood offers services OTHER than just contraceptive ones...however I'm a little worried being a Texas applicant that the conservative atmosphere wouldn't take too kindly to that. What's your perspective on this?

Goro, I was especially curious about your second sentence. I am interested in volunteering in a Planned Parenthood. I also understand that adcoms are stratified in terms of personal belief and Planned Parenthood offers services OTHER than just contraceptive ones...however I'm a little worried being a Texas applicant that the conservative atmosphere wouldn't take too kindly to that. What's your perspective on this?

Goro can correct me if I'm wrong but you're way over thinking this and getting worried over nothing. The only time this can be an issue is if in secondaries/interviews you come across as very rigid in your beliefs system and how you view issues.

Goro can correct me if I'm wrong but you're way over thinking this and getting worried over nothing. The only time this can be an issue is if in secondaries/interviews you come across as very rigid in your beliefs system and how you view issues.

Thanks