bengirlxD

2+ Year Member
May 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
your application looks good! Just focus on getting the A's in organic and acing that MCAT. One thing I do have to mention is that you have a pretty cookie cutter app. Add some extra activities that are unique to you because a lot of other pre meds have similar stats.

OP
E

egil_skallagrimsson

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
your application looks good! Just focus on getting the A's in organic and acing that MCAT. One thing I do have to mention is that you have a pretty cookie cutter app. Add some extra activities that are unique to you because a lot of other pre meds have similar stats.
Thanks! Hmm I thought my research experience made me stand out. I wouldn't think most people applying out of undergrad have multiple pubs and multiple years of full-time research. That stinks. I will look into some other activities.

About the Ads

bengirlxD

2+ Year Member
May 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Thanks! Hmm I thought my research experience made me stand out. I wouldn't think most people applying out of undergrad have multiple pubs and multiple years of full-time research. That stinks. I will look into some other activities.
What I mean is that you need to add some personality to your EC's. Do you have any passionate hobbies that you have been keeping up for years? Research is stellar but you just need that last bit of oomph.

Jlaw

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok, first, relax. What do you enjoy doing? Med schools dont want to see you applying with 5,ooo different experiences, they want you to apply with 1 or 2 things that you put a thousand hours into and are passionate about. Doing 10-50hrs at 10 different things is going to look stupid and exactly like what the thousands of other people you are up against are doing.

OP
E

egil_skallagrimsson

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Ok, first, relax. What do you enjoy doing? Med schools dont want to see you applying with 5,ooo different experiences, they want you to apply with 1 or 2 things that you put a thousand hours into and are passionate about. Doing 10-50hrs at 10 different things is going to look stupid and exactly like what the thousands of other people you are up against are doing.
Well, I chose to tutor because I'm pretty passionate about education. But given that I work full-time, take classes, study for MCAT, and need clinical experience, I can't reasonably devote 1000 hours to it, unfortunately. I have other hobbies, but they're not really things you can easily relay into an extracurricular activity especially given my schedule.

TwinsFan

7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Get the shadowing in at least 2 specialties including 1 or more in primary care. Also find a way to lead or create/innovate in something you enjoy (sports/hobby etc) and give back locally. Also work on strengthening relationships with people who will write your LORs, these can make a difference.

Jlaw

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, I chose to tutor because I'm pretty passionate about education. But given that I work full-time, take classes, study for MCAT, and need clinical experience, I can't reasonably devote 1000 hours to it, unfortunately. I have other hobbies, but they're not really things you can easily relay into an extracurricular activity especially given my schedule.
Thats great and tutoring is an excellent activity. For clinical experience I would look into volunteering at a free clinic. They are more likely to let you help out in a clinical capacity than an ER is. At the ER you might be bringing people sandwiches or showing guests to their friends room but most ED's are so well oiled that you probably would not be utilized to do anything clinical. EMS is also a great way to get experience if you have time to take the EMT-B course and get your license. Plus you can rack up volunteer hours quickly while still studying because most of you time is spent sitting around waiting for calls.

About the Ads