What environment do you study in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDWanabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was doing my undergrad I loved this one chemistry library at UT Austin that had that distinctive library old-paper smell, except this was a clean, dry smell as opposed to mold (yech!). It was virtually sound free and really allowed me to concentrate.

At my current place of study there is no such area that is quiet or smells as nicely, so I purchased some ear plugs that work AWESOMELY. Now I find that even when I'm casually reading a book I enjoy it a lot more with ear plugs. I can't live without them now!

Out of curiosity, what other environments do you guys/gals study in? Any tricks you use to keep concentrated and energized?

Members don't see this ad.

I do most of my studing at my apt, but i live alone so not much distraction.
However, i do get distracted my TV and my computer. When i really need to buckle down i go to school and find a private sitting area which my school has quite a bit.

I study in an enclosed area listening to some music. My motivation is usually the song, but also a piece of paper with my goals written on it, so If I ever feel like I should not study, I see that and I study anyway. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Well what do you know, CW and UNM commenting right after each other :laugh:

I usually like to study in the library when it's quiet. Sometimes that tends to be in the evenings, so in the afternoons, I'll do some assignments that don't make you try to get total silence. Trying to read when they're noise around tends to be difficult.

And like CW said, music helps.

I don't care where I study as long as I'm left alone. How do "groupies" get anything accomplished? I don't want to seem snobbish, but when people ask me to study with them, I steadily refuse. Studying together with someone is a pure demonstration of diminishing returns principle.

When I was doing my undergrad I loved this one chemistry library at UT Austin that had that distinctive library old-paper smell, except this was a clean, dry smell as opposed to mold (yech!). It was virtually sound free and really allowed me to concentrate.

At my current place of study there is no such area that is quiet or smells as nicely, so I purchased some ear plugs that work AWESOMELY. Now I find that even when I'm casually reading a book I enjoy it a lot more with ear plugs. I can't live without them now!

Out of curiosity, what other environments do you guys/gals study in? Any tricks you use to keep concentrated and energized?

Back to the day when I was still at the undergraduate level, I normally study in a corner of the farthest library in the campus. I never study in my dorm or in a group of students, where there is a lot of distraction.

I get my best studying done when I take baths. I kid you not.... just chilling in a bubble bath reading my textbooks&/or notes

I study best right in front of a TV. I've always been able to multitask mentally, like reading a book and watching a movie at the same time. Quiet places actually reduce my concentration because I get bored and restless.

I hate study groups, especially when you end up explaining everything to the lowest denominator the whole time (which is what usually happens).

I need complete silence. I even yell at my dog to stop snoring.

The one in Welch? I always studied at the PCL or FAC so I never even checked out any of the other libraries on campus.

I like the student library atmosphere in general though because I know everyone's in the same boat as me. If I'm at my apartment I just think about the fun my friends are having without me. At the library, I'm with a lot of people who are having just as lame of a Friday night as me.

Coffee is another must. I'm just not very productive without it.

I have trouble without music. I use headphones if I'm in public.

I like to find quiet, out-of-the-way spaces in the library or little-used areas of academic buildings. I'm not too picky on being in the same spot so long as it's sparsely populated. The classroom we have lecture in (all of our lectures are in the same room) empties out pretty well after class, so that's a decent option, too.

The one in Welch? I always studied at the PCL or FAC so I never even checked out any of the other libraries on campus.

I like the student library atmosphere in general though because I know everyone's in the same boat as me. If I'm at my apartment I just think about the fun my friends are having without me. At the library, I'm with a lot of people who are having just as lame of a Friday night as me.

Coffee is another must. I'm just not very productive without it.

Yup! The one in Welch. The librarians are super helpful too, and they open up the library even when the university is shut down for weather.

Speaking of distractions, I just bought a Kindle! It's sitting at amazon right now waiting to be sent. It's going to be difficult to leave that thing at home so I won't pick it up at the library. :D