What exactly is the Personal Statement prompt and length limit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has not been asked since 2010, according to my search. So I am asking again.

What exactly is the Personal Statement prompt and length limit? I am afraid to ask my Premed Advisor because I am already late on submitting my first full draft. I am applying for entry in Fall of 2017.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless something has changed, it is 5300 characters (this includes spaces, punctuation, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
There isn't a prompt per se. It's more like a set of guidelines.

Taken from the 2016 AMCAS Instructions:

Use the Personal Comments essay as an opportunity to distinguish yourself from other applicants. Consider and write your Personal Comments carefully; many admission committees place significant weight on this section. Some questions you may want to consider while writing this essay are:
-Why have you selected the field of medicine?
-What motivates you to learn more about medicine?
-What do you want medical schools to know about you that hasn't been disclosed in other sections of the application?

In addition, you may wish to include information such as:
-Special hardships, challenges, or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits.
-Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record that are not explained elsewhere in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your premed advisor is already having you write a full draft? In January...? Or do you maybe need it for your premed committee LOR packet?

Your premed advisor is already having you write a full draft? In January...?
I know, right? My personal statement will hopefully be much better after more volunteering and physician shadowing. Also, my school's first full draft deadline used to be almost 3 months later, they just changed it.

Thanks for the replies, I think this is what I needed.

will adcoms know what the term "safety-net hospital" means in a personal statement? do i need to explain it?

You think adcoms have time to use google?
Of course we do. However, it is better if the information is so clear that we don't have to. Keep in mind that the reader or interviewer looking at your application may be an 80 year old retired faculty member or a non-physician with an appointment in the medical school as a teacher/researcher in medical humanities, anatomy, medical anthropology, etc.

Still, even if someone isn't aware of safety net hospital as a term in and of itself, they will be smart enough to infer that OP is referring to some kind of facility in an underserved community that sees many poor patients. This will be even more clear when OP discusses what they did there. No reason not to use the term or wasting more characters on a more lengthy explanation.

My take ont he PS is that it is to answer:

"Who Am I?"

"Why Medicine?"

This question has not been asked since 2010, according to my search. So I am asking again.

What exactly is the Personal Statement prompt and length limit? I am afraid to ask my Premed Advisor because I am already late on submitting my first full draft. I am applying for entry in Fall of 2017.