What Fellowship?

Started by DW3843
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DW3843

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is for anyone out there going into ENT or already in the field:

What are your plans after finishing your residency? Will it be straight into practice or on to a fellowship?

I would like to hear some of the opinions and experiences of why people were drawn to a particular fellowship or other niche of ENT.
 
DW3843 said:
This is for anyone out there going into ENT or already in the field:

What are your plans after finishing your residency? Will it be straight into practice or on to a fellowship?

I would like to hear some of the opinions and experiences of why people were drawn to a particular fellowship or other niche of ENT.

I am going into practice, mainly because what I really like is the variety of oto, which a fellowship precludes.

For example: I love otology, but not neuro-otology. I love ablative H&N surgery, but don't like doing free flaps. I love facial recontruction (eg: local flaps after Mohs surgery), but don't like cosmetic facial plastics.
 
I second the thoughs of throat and will probably be entering a small group private practice (3-5 partners); i went into oto because of the variety of procedures (e.g. fess is nothing like tymp mastoids, which are nothing like facial recon, which are nothing like T&A; all 4 of which are nothing like necks, thyroids, and parathyroids); i also have a short attention span and do not like free flaps either, although the program that i am at does about 3-4/week; i would not want to limit myself to one specific area; love the diversity!
 
thanks for some helpful responses.
That's exactly what I was looking for.

Any thoughts from other private practice hopefuls or those of you that are considering a fellowship?