What gets you the interview for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrshumMurshum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at DO schools and find that most of them receive several thousands of applications every year and only give out about 500-800 interviews.

Now I imagine it's not necessarily well correlated to stats alone since I presume that out of 5,000+ applicants there are lots of people with LizzyM scores that are similiar.

LizzyM score = gpa*10 + mcat

In this realm is it mainly your PS + Secondary essays that decide whether you get the interview and if that's the case what are some common things to avoid that annoys and/or bores Adcoms when they're reading your PS + Secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm looking at DO schools and find that most of them receive several thousands of applications every year and only give out about 500-800 interviews.

Now I imagine it's not necessarily well correlated to stats alone since I presume that out of 5,000+ applicants there are lots of people with LizzyM scores that are similiar.

LizzyM score = gpa*10 + mcat

In this realm is it mainly your PS + Secondary essays that decide whether you get the interview and if that's the case what are some common things to avoid that annoys and/or bores Adcoms when they're reading your PS + Secondaries.

I think it is gpa plus mcat plus applying early. As you said, most people are in the same boat in terms of gpa and mcat, so they simply invite the typical applicants that applied early first.

I've always imagined this is how it goes.

GPA + MCAT good enough? Yes.
Institutional Action? No, or very minor.
Personal Statement legit? Yes.
ECs good? Yes.
Interview!

I've always imagined this is how it goes.

GPA + MCAT good enough? Yes.
Institutional Action? No, or very minor.
Personal Statement legit? Yes.
ECs good? Yes.
Interview!

This is pretty much how it works.

GPA and MCAT are often just a screening tool, meaning that if you're good enough there, they'll give you an honest look. It's everything else that gets you in IMO.