What Grades They Consider

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2PacClone23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember the people from UoP said that if you have a nice upward trend, they sometimes don't even see the freshman year grades...or they only calculate the GPA from sophmore and junior year...I figured this would be a great boost for me since my freshman year GPA blows.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for UoP, but I don't think that's something I would put a lot of stock in - when you fill out the AADSAS application, it churns out an overall GPA, a BCP GPA, and a science GPA (BCP + math/other science). Those numbers are what seem to get the most attention. If your GPAs are bad and you get a really good DAT, they might look for an upward trend. They definitely get those (freshman) grades though. Think about it, they get like 4000 applications at each school, its not like they are going over each one in tremendous detail. If you do have an upward trend in your GPA, you might want to reference that in your personal statement so it gets some attention.

I remember the people from UoP said that if you have a nice upward trend, they sometimes don't even see the freshman year grades...or they only calculate the GPA from sophmore and junior year...I figured this would be a great boost for me since my freshman year GPA blows.

It might help if the "upward trend" translates into commendable DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, well not that they don't LOOK at the freshman year grades but that they don't really weigh them if they see that your sophmore and junior year grades are bad. The guy said he understood if freshman year scores are low since we're adjusting and what not, or maybe they'd really look from soph to junior year for a real assesment of our workload and course evaluation.

Upward trend is always good, especially if you didn't start off where you wanted. To my knowledge all your grades are taken in account, never heard freshmen are dropped.

don't kid yourself. everyone looks at all grades. schools get 1000s of applicants, many of whom have all 4 years with good grades. why would they discredit your 1st year stats? unless of course u are in legacy with UoP or got some other hookup. just crush the DAT and continue the upward trend and you should be fine