What GREAT jobs can you get with an MPH..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What great jobs can you get with an MPH..such as challenging, exciting...a pretty good salary -- im gonna have a family to support (near $100,000)...etc

Members don't see this ad.

I work for a local health department. Here's the low-down. Entry level (no experience) MPH jobs make around 30-40k. You work for several years then try to get in to an administrative, management, or policy position. Those jobs pay the $100K you're looking for, but it could take forever to get one.

If you have some other qualification (ie: RN/MPH, MT/MPH, MD/MPH, research...), than that's not the case at all.

It also seems like applicants with an MPH do pretty well getting into med-school.

That Help?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89755

on the 2nd page i believe....you can read what exmike and the others said about job opps.

you dont do MPH to be rich but because you feel you have a moral obligation to help society. 6 figures? health policy and management. im just paraphrasing so you can read more on it in that other thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i'd say health policy and management or work for a pharmaceutical company. you can also make decent money as an epidemiologist or biostatistician, but this would likely require education at the doctoral level.

if you are going to work for the state, local, or federal government, it will probably take you a loooong time to work up to the 100,000 level. i think it's impossible at the federal level because their pay scheme is based on education level + experience but you max out at some point with only a masters, but don't quote me on that.

1 thing Epidemiologists rule and SAS is King :p
LOL for real most people dont know much about SAS, so u can get more $$ for just knowing :)
I can tell u that my position, State entry level Epidemiologist is in the $45-$50k range. It should be higher in more expensive areas like Cali. Even though NY pays crappy.

SAS is a bit annoying yet effective but then again.....I'm not a stat fiend. :D