What happened if you dont get in pharmacy school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phamous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently a senior and i am applyng to pharmacy this year. What happened if i dont get in? Anyone have any advice? should i do a master or take a year off and work as a tech. my gpa is 3.45 and 3.6 cummulative and 71 on pcat. Please help, i am so stress and dont know what to do if i dont get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, your numeric stats are competitive. The first thing I'd suggest is taking a deep breath. :)

If you don't get in, the first thing you can do is evaluate what other schools you could apply to this cycle. Cast your net wide if you don't get any bites.

Next, do some debriefing. Call the schools you applied to and ask if you can make an appointment to discuss your application and specifically what weaknesses you can improve for the next try. As long as you're professional, this approach can show you are determined, as well as give you good information.

Once you have the information in hand, then identify your next course of action. Some things that I've heard people do to improve their app between cycles:
- Pharmacy experience. This is #1 - if you don't have some, get some.
- Other ECs like volunteering. Round your application out - show you're not just numbers.
- Take some upper level classes & stomp 'em. Show you can handle harder course work.
- Rewrite a stronger personal statement, including how you're improving your application. This would probably be something to start closer to next cycle so you can do it retrospectively. Ask everyone to read it. Even your mum. She'll be flattered. Take it to your school's English department & find someone to help there.
- Network for strong recommendations (if they weren't before). If all you had was professors the first time around, befriend a pharmacist who will write on your behalf (preferrably while getting pharmacy experience). Replace that math prof with the biochem prof from the higher level classes you're taking. Something like that.

All of this is going to be a moot point, because you're going to get in. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Work in a pharmacy (if you can), do research at school (if you can), look at more pharmacy schools, take more classes (if you can), etc.

Then reapply.