What Happened To SDN???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STARCITY

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happened here? There used to be 70 people logged on at a time. Now theres hardly over 18 at a time? Did people lose interest? Did they all get banned?

What happened?

Members don't see this ad.

Just like any other site, SDN goes through phases. Time is everything. SDN-predental tends to be very busy around Nov/Dec.. also around May/June when everyone is trying to submit their applications. These days people are finishing up assignments and exams before spring break, away on spring break, or dealing with after-spring break issues. Give it a month and many will be seeking advice on where to apply and how to write their personal statements.

STARCITY said:
What happened here? There used to be 70 people logged on at a time. Now theres hardly over 18 at a time? Did people lose interest? Did they all get banned?

What happened?

They all either got in or got rejected, so they don't see the need for this site right now. it'll pick up when the next cycle starts

Members don't see this ad :)
i still visit everyday. i guess i'm a loser. :cool:

I banned myself from the internet, and this is the only site I visit.

1. Don't forget that 70% of the time (at least for me) people cannot even log unto the site because it is usually inaccessible--server errors and all.

2. Look at the threads we have. There's really nothing of interest. We have more " I've been accepted help me decide which school" threads popping up. After a while people get tired of saying "go to the one you feel more comfortable with" or "go to the cheaper school."

3. I understand that SDN is more for academic/admissions information than goofing around BUT it takes more than dental-talk to build enough internet-relations (LOL) to keep a website like this buzzing during the 'seasonal lows.' Thank the lawd for threads like "do people hook up in dental school?"

4. I appreciate the work the moderators do, but sometimes when they 'over-exercise' their thread closing abilities, people get the impression that they really cannot have freedom of speech. Censorship on a public forum like this is good but when it reaches the point where it ******s the expression of possibly controversial BUT critical ideas, the forum becomes useless.

I still love SDN (Yes I said it :) ) I have met wonderful people through this website (Especially you, YES you *I'll say it again, "You're the coolest"* LOL :laugh: ), I have had the invisible support of many young, intelligent people who were going through the same struggles as I was (Remember the Dec1st group countdown? Ahhh.....those were the days). I just don't feel the Network portion of SDN anymore. :(

duh? said:
1. Don't forget that 70% of the time (at least for me) people cannot even log unto the site because it is usually inaccessible--server errors and all.

2. Look at the threads we have. There's really nothing of interest. We have more " I've been accepted help me decide which school" threads popping up. After a while people get tired of saying "go to the one you feel more comfortable with" or "go to the cheaper school."

3. I understand that SDN is more for academic/admissions information than goofing around BUT it takes more than dental-talk to build enough internet-relations (LOL) to keep a website like this buzzing during the 'seasonal lows.' Thank the lawd for threads like "do people hook up in dental school?"

4. I appreciate the work the moderators do, but sometimes when they 'over-exercise' their thread closing abilities, people get the impression that they really cannot have freedom of speech. Censorship on a public forum like this is good but when it reaches the point where it ******s the expression of possibly controversial BUT critical ideas, the forum becomes useless.

I still love SDN (Yes I said it :) ) I have met wonderful people through this website (Especially you, YES you *I'll say it again, "You're the coolest"* LOL :laugh: ), I have had the invisible support of many young, intelligent people who were going through the same struggles as I was (Remember the Dec1st group countdown? Ahhh.....those were the days). I just don't feel the Network portion of SDN anymore. :(

yea i agree

STARCITY said:
yea i agree

Agreed, however, I'm another loser that peruses everyday...haven't been posting much though.

mochafreak said:
Agreed, however, I'm another loser that peruses everyday...haven't been posting much though.
Same here..........but it helps me to put off my homework, studying, and other resposibilities. That and I like to check to see what kind of lame game is being spat at my girlfriend on the "do people hook up in dental school" thread. Hate burst everyones bubble but she checks this site probably about once a month since I have been accepted.

hey geckel, thx for the pics of ajeckel :thumbup:

ItsGavinC said:
Time of day also affects things.

I suppose, but 4 months ago this place was rockin.

Its all a cycle, just like previously mentioned. It will pick up in may. Until then, expect things to be relatively slow.

STARCITY said:

What happened?

As Comet pointed out, SDN does have it's phases. We're nearing the end of one admissions cycle, people have acceptances and senioritis, and interest wanes. Then around late July and into August it starts to pick up again and by October the numbers and the same questions and concerns return.

Sprgrover said:
As Comet pointed out, SDN does have it's phases. We're nearing the end of one admissions cycle, people have acceptances and senioritis, and interest wanes. Then around late July and into August it starts to pick up again and by October the numbers and the same questions and concerns return.

huh

Wonder if all the thousands of people that used to be on here got in.

STARCITY said:
huh

Statistically, I'd say about half (or less) got into D-School, meaning we will see them here next cycle.

PDizzle said:
Statistically, I'd say about half (or less) got into D-School, meaning we will see them here next cycle.

whats your basis for that?

good guess?

Hope your running you site better than that!

STARCITY said:
huh

:laugh: :laugh:

STARCITY said:
huh

Well, you have all levels of students on here - from high school to dental school, and many just go to the boards, check 'em out and lurk. I actually lurked for a few months before I finally made a post...and I haven't left since. :scared: